Critique my electric transition plan

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hwk-I-St8

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
First, some info about what I have now, how I brew now, and the range of styles and batch sizes I like to brew.

I currently have 3 vessel system: a 50 qt cooler MLT, a 5 G cooler HLT, propane fired 10G kettle and a SAB4 SS burner. I use a bag in the MLT so basically a MIAB process with a single batch sparge. I use a Jaded Hydra immersion chiller and I have a chugger pump that I use for whirlpooling. While mashing, I heat sparge water in the kettle and transfer to the 5G HLT prior to taking the first runnings. I raise the bag, drain the first runnings, then drain the HLT into the MLT for the sparge.

I like to brew 5 gallon batches (to keg) and brew everything from relatively low gravity (mid 1.040 range OG) to very high gravity (1.128 OG stout, for example).

I want to go electric, simplify my brew day, reduce my footprint. I also want (fully realizing it's not necessary for clear beer) to produce clear wort into the kettle. Finally, I want to add step mashing to my capabilities.

My plan:

Buy a SS Brewtech 10G 1V brewing system, which includes a 10G eKettle with welded fittings, halo 5500 watt heating element and a proportional controller that drives the element and two 120 volt accessories (pump, for example). I'll also buy a mesh basket from Utah Biodiesel to fit the SS Brewtech kettle and a false bottom for the Brewbuilt kettle. Finally, for the kettle RIMS, I'll get an auto-sparge.

For normal gravity beers, I'll do recirculating eBIAB with the SS Brewtech kettle & controller, the basket, and the chugger pump. I already have a ratcheting hoist. This will be a very simple brewing process and should significantly shorten my brew day.

For very high gravity beers I'll do a Kettle RIMS with the SS Brewtech as the boil/RIMS kettle and the Brewbuilt with false bottom as the MLT. This should support the higher grain bills since some of the liquid volume will be in the RIMS kettle. I can also do a cold water batch sparge if necessary.

Costs for upgrade:
  • SS Brewtech eBIAB rig $950
  • Utah biodiesel basket: $200
  • False Bottom: $30
  • Auto Sparge: $70
So for a little over $1200 I'll have a very versatile electric system that supports a wide array of gravities, clear wort, step mash capability, and, at worst, 2 vessel footprint.

Thoughts? Am I missing anything? I've been mulling this over for over a year and this compromise popped into my head today.

Seems like a solid plan as-is, though Ss is working on an all in one system with a basket that looks very similar to BrauSupply (check out their workshop page).

The Ss controller requires both a 220V and a 120V outlet, just fyi.

Seems like a solid plan as-is, though Ss is working on an all in one system with a basket that looks very similar to BrauSupply (check out their workshop page).

The Ss controller requires both a 220V and a 120V outlet, just fyi.

I knew they were working on a full up system...I'm not sure it'll be what I want, but I am planning to wait and see what it is. I didn't know about the separate plugs...wonder why they did that?

I'm not gonna describe this right, but remember reading something along these lines in another thread. Their goal was to allow use of a 3 prong outlet for the 220V element without tripping the breaker the moment the pumps turned on. There's definitely more to it than that, but it's all I remember/understood.

So by splitting the 120V and 220V features, they enabled more people to use their equipment with outlets more people had readily available (dryer outlets).

I'm not gonna describe this right, but remember reading something along these lines in another thread. Their goal was to allow use of a 3 prong outlet for the 220V element without tripping the breaker the moment the pumps turned on. There's definitely more to it than that, but it's all I remember/understood.

So by splitting the 120V and 220V features, they enabled more people to use their equipment with outlets more people had readily available (dryer outlets).

That makes sense. There's lots of home wired for 220 but only have the two hot lines and a ground. It would make it more versatile and would probably save many people from having to get a wiring upgrade. I plan to run 220 to my garage, so I will run the neutral line too regardelss.

I'm in a similar boat and already bought and installed the ss 1v setup. after reading the brulosophy test they used it with a bag directly on the element and it maintained temps and did no damage to the bag. I'm gonna bypass any sparging or recirculation as i feel it's not worth the effort at all. I'm gonna go with a super fine crush full volume mash and just stir it two times in the first ten minutes.
I am also curious about the other parts of the SS all in one kit. I might want parts of it, but not others. I'd be fine with just using the bag i already have tho.

Back