Critique My Cream Ale Idea

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sconnie

Reaction score
Here's my current plans for a partial mash Cream Ale. I want it to be light and drinkable for spring but also interesting.

4.7# Light Malt Extract
1.5# 6-row
.5# Flaked Wheat
.5# Vienna malt
.5# Flaked Corn
.5# Wild Rice
.5 oz Styrian Goldings @ 60
.5 oz Hallertauer @ 15
.25 oz Hallertauer @ 5

I haven't decided on the yeast yet. I think it could be interesting to mix it up and use a Kolsch yeast, or maybe a saison yeast, but I'll probably end up sticking with a simple american ale yeast and maybe experiment with something different in the future.
I'm thinking 6-row instead of 2-row to be true to style (I think I read somewhere that the old cream ales used 6-row and corn...) and also to make sure there are enough enzymes in the partial mash to convert all the non-malted ingredients.
Let me know what you think!

Sounds good to me, any specific reason you're using three different adjuncts (wheat, corn, and rice)?

I would make sure you have at least equal amounts of base malt and that of your other grains. The vienna will convert itself but may not offer much extra to convert the adjuncts. If you have the ability, mash a little more base malt and reduce the extract by an appropriate amount to maintain your OG.

I made a cream ale with 6-row, flaked maize, and a 2lb of vienna, turned out great! I think the addition of vienna is nice in these, it gives just a little something extra.

My thought process on the adjuncts was this: you need corn for a cream ale to be true to style and I thought the wheat might add some head retention and would give it more of a creamy feel. Also, although I envision this beer a bit differently, New Glarus Spotted Cow (which, being from Madison, I'm sure you're very familiar with) has corn, wheat, and vienna malt.
The Wild Rice is the ingredient that makes this beer a little different. Wild rice is quite different from white rice, so it's not there simply to lighten the beer, or else I'd just add more corn. I've never brewed with wild rice, or even had a wild rice beer, but I've heard they are good, and supposedly it lightens and adds a bit of a nutty flavor. There's a bunch of info on BYO here:
http://***********/feature/633.html
From my research I found that a "classic" cream ale is made up of base malt and 10-20% corn. So instead of just corn, I split the 20% into approximately 5% each of the vienna, wheat, corn and wild rice. A lot of adjuncts, yes, but the base malt + vienna still make up 85% of the grains, so I'm hoping it will be light-but-not-too-light and that the wild rice will make it a little different from the normal Cream Ale. That's the plan anyway...:cross:

Hmmmm style.....yes......

If that is your concern, then it looks pretty good.

I, myself, would add at least 1/4 pound of crystal 40l or so. That might not be true to the style, but I bet id would be heavenly to drink.

I think what you said about the maize and wheat makes sense.

I also haven't experience with wild rice. I'm guessing it would actually lend some flavor opposed to white minute rice. I'd say go with the wild rice.........if it adds a little something in the background great, if not, you'll still have a flavorful easy drinking beer.

Also, I see the recipes in your signature, you by chance don't live in the Firehouse on the corner of Randall and Dayton? The reason I ask is I was walking by one day and noticed spent grains and some hops dumped on the driveway. It made me wish I was brewing.

sconnie said:
Here's my current plans for a partial mash Cream Ale. I want it to be light and drinkable for spring but also interesting.

4.7# Light Malt Extract
1.5# 6-row
.5# Flaked Wheat
.5# Vienna malt
.5# Flaked Corn
.5# Wild Rice
.5 oz Styrian Goldings @ 60
.5 oz Hallertauer @ 15
.25 oz Hallertauer @ 5

I haven't decided on the yeast yet. I think it could be interesting to mix it up and use a Kolsch yeast, or maybe a saison yeast, but I'll probably end up sticking with a simple american ale yeast and maybe experiment with something different in the future.
I'm thinking 6-row instead of 2-row to be true to style (I think I read somewhere that the old cream ales used 6-row and corn...) and also to make sure there are enough enzymes in the partial mash to convert all the non-malted ingredients.
Let me know what you think!
I'd cut out the rice and up the flaked maize to at least 1 to 1 1/2 lb.

uwmgdman, that is the firehouse I live in on Randal and Dayton. :tank:

sconnie said:
uwmgdman, that is the firehouse I live in on Randal and Dayton. :tank:

Hilarious, I'm sure 99% of people who walk by and notice spent grains/hops on the end of a driveway have no idea what it is.........I walk by on the way to work and start day dreaming about brewing.

Good luck with the cream ale.

:mug:

Being a Wisconsonite (Racine), you bring back memories of visiting a buddy of mine for Badger football games, and a girlfriend for, well, other things. Spotted Cow came up in conversation at Easter dinner, and for the life of me, I couldn't think of what exactly it is. I assume from the comments it is indeed a cream ale. It's on tap, or in bottles everywhere here, and is quite popular.

I was at the local shop and looking through the yeast, and came upon White Labs cream ale yeast (I think it was WLP030), but wasn't listed in any of the info they had there. Is it new? Have you tried it? I've been considering making a cream ale for awhile. I may try your recipe when I do.

I've heard Spotted Cow called a mix between a Cream Ale and a Saison, and I think the taste backs up that idea.
I usually use Wyeast, and I hadn't seen the White Labs cream ale yeast. Here's what the website says:
"WLP080 Cream Ale Yeast Blend
This is a blend of ale and lager yeast strains. The strains work together to create a clean, crisp, light American lager style ale. A pleasing estery aroma may be perceived from the ale yeast contribution. Hop flavors and bitterness are slightly subdued. Slight sulfur will be produced during fermentation, from the lager yeast."
That actually sounds really interesting, but I guess I don't quite envision my cream ale to be a fake-pilsener, so I think I'll stick to and American Ale yeast.
But I wonder if there are more uses for that Cream Ale yeast blend, for those of us who don't have lagering capabilities. Could you make other quasi lagers? A fake Bock or Marzen? That could be interesting...

sconnie said:
I've never brewed with wild rice, or even had a wild rice beer, but I've heard they are good, and supposedly it lightens and adds a bit of a nutty flavor. There's a bunch of info on BYO here:
http://***********/feature/633.html

That article is interesting. I'd never heard of using Wild Rice. I may have to do a similar batch after my peach wheat.... I was already planning to do a cream ale and the wild rice sounds like it could add a nice unique touch. Please let us know how it comes out if you proceed with the wild rice!

Alright, brewing this on Saturday. I think I'll stick with my original recipe at this point and keep the wild rice to see what it adds.
I'll let you all know how it turns out!

Back