Criteria for choosing sink pump

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brockr

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
First, let me say I know absolutely nothing about plumbing or plumbing products. So I'm sure my confusion is due to plain ignorance, but I would appreciate someone telling me how to decide on a pump for my utility sink in the basement. I've been searching around the forum for what kind of pump to use on a basement sink. Some of the models I've seen recommended include:
...Plus some other models. What I don't understand is how to actually choose a pump. The Everbuilt above seems to be a different design from the other two (attaching directly to the drain, and non-vented). I don't know if vented vs. un-vented matters, other than you needing a vent to connect a vented pump to (I think I already have a vent for a previous sink in the basement). Is there anything else I should be considering?

I don't want to overthink this. I just want something that will work. I don't plan on doing anything crazy with it or customizing it in any way. I plan to throw away as much solid matter as possible, and wash the remainder out in the sink. The Everbuilt is cheapest of the ones above, but I've seen so many recs for the Liberty pump, so I'm not sure what I should be looking at to make my decision.

The maximum water temperature the pump can handle may be a consideration depending on what you aim to send down
Everbuilt: Maximum Working Temperature: 77F

Not sure if that's the ambient or waste water temp.
To be used as a laundry pump that seems quite low, as warm soapy waste water can easily be around 100-120F, even higher.

The Liberty is rated at 140F. That's more useful, IMO. I also prefer the low profile.

The Zoeller is a sump pump, it empties a vat.

I tried the Everbuilt when I redid my basement sink three years ago. Horrible. Ripped it out as the pressure switch system was inconsistent… sometimes not fully draining the sink.

I put the Liberty in and have nothing but good things to say about it.

Does your basement not already have a sump pump somewhere in it?

If it does, then I'd just run a drain line from the sink to it. Or tie into some other drain line at or below the level of the sink trap. However depending on the length you have to run the waste line, venting might be an issue too.

My 2¢
If you are going to use it often for making beer, just get a plumber to do it right.

Does your basement not already have a sump pump somewhere in it?

If it does, then I'd just run a drain line from the sink to it. Or tie into some other drain line at or below the level of the sink trap. However depending on the length you have to run the waste line, venting might be an issue too.

My 2¢
If you are going to use it often for making beer, just get a plumber to do it right.
There is actually a sump pump where the old sink was. It's not where my new sink is going, so I'm not sure if I can run it to there or not. Good idea, though. I'll ask the plumber. I also don't know what kind of pump it is...I didn't see any visible markings on the outside.

Thanks for the suggestions. I'm going to get the Liberty 404. Like I said, I'll ask the plumber about running a drain line to the old pump.

Back