CRISA Glass Carboys - Are they safe to use?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MT_Keg

Reaction score
I acquired 2 CRISA carboys from my parents; they used them to make cordials.

I am not concerned about their structural integrity; these are pretty thick and heavy. I am concerned about the chemical composition; is it possible that the glass has lead in it? I am not sure what year they were made but they appear to be tinted blue.

One is labeled with "eagle spring water company" and the other is unlabeled.

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated!

MT
IMG_20200104_180846909_HDR.jpeg
IMG_20200104_180930878_HDR.jpeg
IMG_20200104_180813483_HDR.jpeg

I don't believe any commercial water bottles or carboys ever used leaded glass. I would not be concerned...

Cheers!
Thanks day_trippr! I didn't come up with anything on the lead subject when I did a search but figured I would poll the community. Thanks for your help!

I talked to my parents this afternoon and apparently these carboys were used by my italian greatgrandma to make wine. Based on the feedback here and their prior uses I will use them in my brewing and wine process after a some cleaning with PBW. Thanks everyone!

Generally, leaded glass was used for more artful efforts than generic commercial bottles (where appearance wasn't all that important).
Like decanters, especially heavily faceted designs...

Cheers!

Back