crikey

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That's a matter of yeast strain. I'm pretty sure there are strains that can handle higher alcohol content than the 14% you quoted.

-walker

drvodka said:
http://www.sky.com/skynews/article/0,,30000-13434086,00.html

thats a strong beer. i thought you could only brew something like 14% alcohol, no more, as it starts to pickle the yeast otherwise?

Hmmm... interesting. I know Sam Adams makes the strongest right now. I title that has flip-flopped between them and Dagfish Head two or three times. Is this guy a homebrewer?

While I am certainly no expert I do know that some yeast strains such as those used for champagne tolerate higher alcohol levels. Another method is to gradually build the yeast's tolerance up.. after all you are causing them to poison themselves in a matter of speaking. From what I understand you add a bit more fermentable sugar every couple of days and allow the yeast to adjust. If this is what this guy is doing then that accounts for the 12 week fermentation.

Tastes like sherry, eh? duh.. who'd 'ave thought..
Honestly I think the best part about beer as opposed to alternatives (Jim Beam anyone?) is that you can drink a fair amount of the good stuff before you start getting stupid. You have to drink this stuff in shots... hmm.. I think I'll pass.

Interesting stuff though.

Latest posts

Back