creating a SMaSH recipe..ideas for grain

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

olotti

Reaction score
Is there a popular malt that is better to use for a SMaSH recipe??? I do alot of 2 row beers so I want to do something different. Was thinking of a MO but never used it before so I dont know how it really tastes, I saw where someone used Vienna as their malt, maybe another idea. I'm trying to make it basically a APA style. Thinking of using either El Dorado, Motueka, Galaxy or FF 7C's as these are hops I've either never used El Dorado/Motueka or used with other hops FF7C's/Galaxy so I'm looking for something with fruity and a little spice, abv on this will be a drinkeable 5.5% goal with prob 04 or 05 as the yeast.

I like using malty-er malts for my smash recipes over standard 2-row.

The last 3 I did were Vienna/Hallertauer, Munich/Tettnang , and Pale/Chinook

In my experience, I would just go with 2 row or GP. MO is too strong for me if I want to really taste the hops

I def want to taste the hops I hear mo is very malty biscuity which I'm not into heavy malt beers anyway. Maybe ill use Vienna or victory as my malt.

I def want to taste the hops I hear mo is very malty biscuity which I'm not into heavy malt beers anyway. Maybe ill use Vienna or victory as my malt.

In my experience, Vienna is more biscuity than MO. I've done SMaSH beers with both. I've done several repeat SMaSH beers (but with different hops) with Maris Otter. I've never done a repeat with Vienna.

MO is my favorite base malt (depending on style, of course).

I'd love to try golden harvest but I know my lhbs doesn't get it and I'm brewing this on Sunday. Guess it'll b either pearl or 2 row although the mo discriptuon in the link above sounds pretty good

I have done SMaSH recipes with MO, Munich, Vienna, American 2-row. All of them are great in their own way. One of my favorite IPA recipes is Munich and a whole pile of Amarillo. MO with some EKG is fantastic.

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

I was thinking while not a true SMaSh 3 Floyd's uses just 2 row and melanoiden for their dreadnought iipa which is a great beer so Mayne ill just do that with a single hop.

Maybe ill use Vienna or victory as my malt.

Victory being a a specialty grain, I don't think you'd want to use it as base malt in a SMaSH. It gives a very strong nutty/toasted flavor, to use up to 20-25% maximum per recommended.

You can use a little of it with 2-row however and I believe it would be really tasty.

I'm going to use marris otter been wanting to try it unless they have golden promise. Using falconers flight hops at 55 ibus. Need a nice easy drinking low abv beer for the fridge.

I made a Willamette and MO SMaSH which was excellent. Also made a 2-Row and cascade which was good as well.

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

I love malt flavors so I like something a bit deeper. I really like Munich Malt for SMASH beers. I've also used Mild Malt with great success. That said Pilsner is great too, just use a lighter hand with the hops if you go that route.

Well got13lbs MO and my shop doesn't have reg ff just the ff 7c's so I opted for galaxy instead which I've been wanting to do an all galaxy apa or ipa at some point.

Back