Cream Ale Cream of Three Crops (Cream Ale)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Would this work well for a fast turnaround beer using Nottingham? Trying to have something for an event in 2 weeks besides the Centennial blonde I have on tap. I would be kegging/force carbing

Yes. Perfect choice...
Would this work well for a fast turnaround beer using Nottingham? Trying to have something for an event in 2 weeks besides the Centennial blonde I have on tap. I would be kegging/force carbing

Agree ^

I just made a batch with notty and loved the results. My ferment time is always 18-21 days due to my work schedule, but I feel like it was crystal clear and ready to drink well before that.

Funny enough, I'll be repitching a jar of yeast from that brew into a centennial blonde at some point!

Finally made this recipe after wanting to for years. Did a 2.5 gal batch by just halving the recipe and making sure my IBUs matched. The sample tastes great, can't wait for it to carb!

IMG_3605.JPG
IMG_3608.JPG
IMG_3609.JPG

It's been a while since this post.. but have someone tried this extract recipe? just looking for an extract version for wife wishes.

thanks in advance

I tried to sift threw some of this for an extract version (I use to brew all grain but moved to a condo and space is limited) with no luck so I decided to make a 5 gallon one for myself using beersmith. Going to buy the ingredients on my way home and brew this up in following days.

2.5lbs flaked corn
.6lbs flaked rice
3lbs pale malt
Steeped 30mins @152F

4.5lbs extra light DME

.5oz Willamette (60mins)
.5oz Crystal (60mins)
Irish moss

Safale S-05 yeast

OG: 1.042
IBU: 13
this post I mean

What other hops are people using in this? (I have skimmed through the thread and seen a few) Mt Hood ought to be a good one. Also Sterling... And I have a lot of German Tradition hops that should work.

But one I really wonder about is Columbus (a.k.a. CTZ) -- a single addition at about 20 or 30 minutes to achieve 14 or so IBU, then no flavor or aroma hops after that. Would that totally overpower this beer? I have brewed a cream ale before using Sorachi Ace with a very light hand and that was good.

Just put this together.

3.0 gallons, SG 1.042

3.0 lb. 2 row
1 lb cornmeal
4.0 oz. Caravienne
4.0 oz. white wheat malt.
1/2 teaspoon gypsum
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon Irish moss 15 minutes before end of boil.

Mashed at 148-149F for 90 minutes.

Amarillo, 0.5 oz @ 25 minutes, 0.5 oz. steep at flameout. Should be about 16.3 IBU.

Whole pack of US-05.

Wanted a little more flavor than rice would have added so used Caravienne and white wheat.

Cereal mashed the corn meal with 4 ounces of 2-row. Interesting experience but won't ever do it again. Serious pain in the backside.

All the Best,
D. White

Just had the first of these. Corn definitely comes through.

I've found it's very easy to over hop these lighter beers. Hopefully this will lighten up some with aging. I've read Amarillo can be intense. Sure seems to be.

All the Best,
D. White

What other hops are people using in this? (I have skimmed through the thread and seen a few) Mt Hood ought to be a good one. Also Sterling... And I have a lot of German Tradition hops that should work.

But one I really wonder about is Columbus (a.k.a. CTZ) -- a single addition at about 20 or 30 minutes to achieve 14 or so IBU, then no flavor or aroma hops after that. Would that totally overpower this beer? I have brewed a cream ale before using Sorachi Ace with a very light hand and that was good.
I have been brewing this beer sine BM first posted it, as long as you stay in that 14 IBU range your fine regardless of which hop. I have gone over 20 IBU with both English and Noble hops and it was fantastic beer. I have done all centennial and all cascade and all northern brewer. It is a pretty flexible beer, much like BM's blonde. Relax, have fun and experiment.

You get this done? Turn out okay?

All the Best,
D. White

You get this done? Turn out okay?

All the Best,
D. White

Yes! It turned out good. It still tasted a little green but that was to be expected. I have been tasting a little sample each day to see how it changes and it is definitely getting better with age but it worked perfectly for what I needed

Yes! It turned out good. It still tasted a little green but that was to be expected. I have been tasting a little sample each day to see how it changes and it is definitely getting better with age but it worked perfectly for what I needed

Thanks for sharing! Glad it's worked out.

Cream Ale Recipe

This is a very simple, inexpensive cream ale recipe that will get every BMC drinker in the room enjoying homebrew. So named because of the three different crops that go into the grist (Barley, Corn and Rice).

I brewed up 10 gallons of this and after kegging, bottled up a case to take to a family event (Mothers Day). Even my 78-yr old FIL, who is strict Miller Lite drinker, ended up having two pints. The chics dug it and we ran out well before the end of the evening.

The grain bill is cheap and in this case, you can use Minute Rice instead of flaked rice. No step mashing required. Simply combine the ingredients and follow a simple single infusion mash at around 152 degrees. I also mashed this for 90 minutes to get a highly attenuated beer. FG was 1.005...leaving a very dry, crisp beer with no noticeable graininess.

While this doesn't adhere to the strict beer laws, and I don't consider this one of my "craft" efforts, it is without a doubt the beer that I get the most "you really made this beer?" comments.

So if you've got some hard core "If it ain't Budweiser it ain't beer…" drinking friends…give this a try.

This beer clears up quickest of any of my recipes.

View attachment 5581

Batch Size: 11.50 gal
Boil Size: 14.26 gal
Estimated OG: 1.040 SG
Estimated Color: 2.9 SRM
Estimated IBU: 14.3 IBU
Brewhouse Efficiency: 75.0 %
Boil Time: 90 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
12.00 lb Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM)
4.00 lb Corn, Flaked (1.3 SRM)
1.00 lb Minute Rice (1.0 SRM)

1.00 oz Willamette [5.20%] (60 min)
1.00 oz Crystal [3.50%] (60 min)

Ive made this beer many times, however I’m wondering what people would think the resultant changes would be if you use Pilsner in place of the two row?

Wow, I searched back through this thread to find where I had posted appreciation of the OP and a celebration of my first all grain brew. It was on Dec 31, 2017. I only brewed one more batch before life got complicated.

Here it is two years later and I am returning to the hobby with another 2.5g batch of this fine brew to enjoy via my portable kegerator.

Perhaps this round I finish the keezer and gear up to larger batch sizes to fill it.

Thanks again to BM for the recipe

Attachments

• portakeg.jpg
    portakeg.jpg
    72.6 KB · Views: 105
building my list of brews to get done for summer.
this will finally make it as i've got more fermenting capability and more kegs.

Think i'll use some harvested notty and just enough CTZ to get 15 ibu just because I have a lot of hops and want to use what I have on hand before buying more.
I've been using CTZ as a substitute for most 60 min. hop additions and they still come out fantastic.

Currently chilling my first attempt, used corn meal and rice after a cereal mash, new territory for me. Excitement! Excitement!

Brewed this yesterday for the first time. I do double batches . Was a great brew day and got started early around 8 AM . I followed recipe to a tee and only change was with hops adding 1 oz crystal and 1.4 willamette.
My fg was high at 1.055 when it called for 1.04. Preboill alone was 1.04. Only thing I can think is I have been adjusting my crush more and and this brew calls for collecting 14.3 gallons and I only collected 13. My kettle is 15g so anything close to 14 g pushes it!!!!
I also noted filling my fermonsters was slow even with a pump and plate chiller. I usually put my hops in bags but this time with only 2.4 oz hops I threw them in the boil. I guess my chiller must have been plugged some as it usually pumps the wort over fast. No big deal. My wort was not clear but it will clear up in time . I did flush my chiller good to get rid of the hop residue .

Beer one has 051 and beer 2 us-5. Sitting in basement room at 18. Will keg one in a few weeks and let it condition in keg. I expect it to be a great beer. I brew the Cent. Blonde mentioned here all the time and is my most popular amongst friends .
Will report back after first pint!!!

I found there to be too much corn for my pallet. Second iteration replaced 1lb of corn with white wheat. Really good crushable summer beer.
9B3136FD-95D4-4144-8AA9-88CEA220DB0B.jpeg

I like experimenting too much to brew the same recipe twice, but I've found that this is a really great base recipe to try out various adjuncts and hops.

I have swapped out rice for flaked barley, added flaked oats (Cream of FOUR crops), and have also used malted wheat instead of corn. I plan to try this recipe with unmalted wheat and unmalted barley soon.

For hops, I have used Perle, Loral, and Sterling, all with nice results. My next iteration will use cascade, Amarillo, and sorachi ace. I like this recipe with about 30 IBU for a strong bitter finish.

Mine is sitting now for 11 days and is quite cloudy in the fermonsters . I recall seeing some pics here and they were so clear. I will ride it out. I don't do a secondary but will for one of these beer if it looks really cloudy in a few more weeks .

Each time I’ve done a variation of this brew, I could see through my fermenter by the time I packaged (2-3 weeks). Never really checked prior to that.

Yeah the pics early in the thread show clear fermenters early on. My crush was tight so more flour creating some cloudiness. I will be patient and keg one after 3 weeks.

I just ordered 4kg of 2 row, and a kg each of corn and rice flakes. That's like 8.8#, 2.2# and 2.2# with 35g each of the recommended hops.

Questions:
Does the recipe adapt ok for BIAB? It'll have to. It's all I have. Was reading through first few. Pages, but no one mentioned BIAB.
With my grain bill, can I shoot for a 6-7 gallon batch? I like to maximize my BIAB adventures.

Will brewers friend give me the details, if I plug in my grains? Do I just balance the grain bills and volume for expected OG? 1.040 I think it was.

Yep, I biab. Brewed this recipe, or just slightly tweaked it, 3 different times. Cleared up for me beautifully each time, and a quick favorite.
My mental math is sketchy at best, but yes, an online calculator should be able to give you the OG by punching in the grain bill and volume

Yep, I biab. Brewed this recipe, or just slightly tweaked it, 3 different times. Cleared up for me beautifully each time, and a quick favorite.
My mental math is sketchy at best, but yes, an online calculator should be able to give you the OG by punching in the grain bill and volume
Thanks for that.......

Similar grain bill to BierMunchers? I've seen some use no corn at all. Is there a corn flavour imparted? Trying to understand what that would even be like. Visions of my beer tasting like Cracker Barrel. :)

I brewed the recipe exact the first time. There was some minor corn flavor, but nothing o empowering. I cranked it up the second time, and cranked the rice the third time. All different, but good. The rice one was a bit more bland, but still very crisp and good. I preferred the corn, myself.

I just went down and took an SG reading. Good excuse to have taste too. Lots of break in there still. Decent sized creamy looking krausen. Tastes pretty corny to me. Hope it bitters out a little with carbing in bottle. Hard to imagine what the final beer will be like. Got big plans for this baby on Canada Day - July 1. :)

I brewed it and it was good. Photo is from a week in keg, no fining.

2.5 gallon batch
3 lb 2 row
2 lb corn grit
1 lb rice
.5 fuggle @ 60
Us-05 slurry

I often make German lager and this was different but just as good

Attachments

• IMG_20200611_154452457.jpg
    IMG_20200611_154452457.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 67
Tomorrow is the day!
finally all situated with new burner and 13 gal. fermenters.
going with 1 oz of CTZ at 60 for a 10 gallon batch.
software puts it at 22 ibu's but the hops are 3yrs old so i'm sure they have lost a little.
not that I think a difference of a few IBU's at that level will be all that huge.

I tasted mine after a week in the bottle. I always do to check the carbonation, and get a general feel for things. Tastes like a light lager ale. Like any non-descript beer in a can. Not something I'd drink regular, but a light beer, at 4%. The intent was for a light summer beer for mey wife to enjoy. Pretty happy with it.

I have noticed a slight cider twang on the beer. Reminded me of early home brewing days. Not sure what might have caused this. Is it simply a freshness issue at a week old? Perhaps a santitary issue in bottle?

Will see if that smooths out over a week or more conditioning.

On last week didn't happen, but today is. Except I brewed a few 5g batches and now only have s-33 and k-97. I'm thinking s-33.

edit: I found one last jar of notty slurry in the back of the fridge.
I took her out and fed her half a cup of dry malt.
if she wakes up in a few hrs i'll go with that.

edit2: notty is alive and well.
Also grain is in the mash.
For the next few 4 or 5 hrs at least.
Have to go to my parents for something so won't be able to start boil until 6 or 7. LOL!

not the first time i've had to do that.
it'll still be good. :)

didn't finish until almost 11 last night but it's in fermenter.
11 gallons.
came in at 1.040 though brewfather had me at a higher OG (1.050).
I've noticed when I use wheat or flaked oats the software has me roughly 10 over every time.

Other than that the sample I took for OG was surprisingly clear.

Last edited:
Back