Cream Ale Cream of Three Crops (Cream Ale)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am going to be trying a 2.5g Batch, BIAB, 3g total water (I get about .5g boil-off). I am one of those brewing on a budget guys...

Wanting to limit the hops to just one type. Hallertau seems to be the basis to be used, my LHBS Cascade is 7.1% Alpha and I would have to use a ridiculously small amount just to reach target IBU of 14.

I will be using the US-05 split between this and a MO/Fuggle SMaSH

My LHBS loves my cream ale and they say my fermentation temps of low 60s is the main factor for it's good, crisp, clean flavor. FYI

I can maintain 62 with swamp cooler. Good to know!

Side note: this only uses. 5oz of Hallertau, would the remaining Hallertau work ok with Marris Otter? Could cut costs there too

Sent from my Sony Tablet S using Home Brew mobile app

So Ive fermented this out and will be givig a case as a bday gift to my niece for her 21st bday. Her and her BMC drinking friends will be enjoying it. At 68 degrees, its pretty cloudy. If I were to cold crash it at about 40 deg for 2 days, would that clarify if significantly and solidify the yeast cake while still leaving enough yeast in suspension for a 2 week bottle conditioning? Thoughts??

Bottling day! This beer is so light, I cud taste the increased sweetness from the priming sugar! I cold crashed this for 2 days to solidify the yeast cake and minimize sedument in the bottles. Ended updrinking 5 pints while bottling :)

I am fermenting my second 12 gallon batch of this beer. I was a huge fan of this recipe, as was my brew partner.
I used S-05 yeast for both carboys last go around. This time I am doing things very differently.
This current batch I am using Wyyeast 2565 Kolsch yeast.
All of my glass carboys were tied up by other beers so I was left with my two buckets. The lids were missing, so I am currently doing an "open air fermentation". The two buckets are covered with clean towels draped over the top. Once the krausen dies down, I will rack them to my two 5 gallon carboys. Has anyone else done the open fermentation?

I am fermenting my second 12 gallon batch of this beer. I was a huge fan of this recipe, as was my brew partner.
I used S-05 yeast for both carboys last go around. This time I am doing things very differently.
This current batch I am using Wyyeast 2565 Kolsch yeast.
All of my glass carboys were tied up by other beers so I was left with my two buckets. The lids were missing, so I am currently doing an "open air fermentation". The two buckets are covered with clean towels draped over the top. Once the krausen dies down, I will rack them to my two 5 gallon carboys. Has anyone else done the open fermentation?

"Open" being determined by how strict of a guidance?

I use 2x Mr Beer LBK's to do my brewing and those are open fermenters. I haven't had an issue as long as I don't disturb it while fermenting, no lifting the lid/towel, etc to degrade the CO2 barrier. Long term fermentation could be an issue, but I don't leave anything more than 3 weeks in those kegs for fear of something else taking over.

"Open" being determined by how strict of a guidance?

I guess I've always, (in these past 4 years of brewing) never fermented anything without an airlock on it. I plan one letting this go to the 7-10 day mark then transfer to glass with an airlock because I'm too weary of messing up a batch, even if this beer runs ~$20/12gallons

I guess I've always, (in these past 4 years of brewing) never fermented anything without an airlock on it. I plan one letting this go to the 7-10 day mark then transfer to glass with an airlock because I'm too weary of messing up a batch, even if this beer runs ~$20/12gallons

One of my key points of trying this is a low cost beer to keep on hand.

Just finished bottling this. It was my first BIAB and I did a 3 gal batch. OG of 1.041. Not sure what efficiency I got, I was just happy to make my OG. Finished at 1.008 and tastes pretty good. I had seen others talking about the corn taste, and I definitely noticed it too. Kind of a creamed corn taste right at the end. That I'm guessing will fade with carbonation and a little age...if it lasts very long at all, which I doubt! Thanks for the recipe BM! I'll update when it's ready to drink.

Made a 2.5 gallon batch of this yesterday. OG of 1.040 - surprising since I thought I'd messed up my mash temperature, but I must have caught it in time (using a very simplistic stove top process for mashing).

It's now bubbling happily with some US-05.

Thanks for the recipe!

All Grain (2.5 gallon batch):
Yeast: US-05 (about 1.5 packages, dry...the other 1/2 went into my George Washington Small Beer)
2.75lb American 2-row pale
1lb flaked maize
7oz Minute Rice

Mashed 1.5 gallons for 90min @ 152 degrees (or so...)
Started boil with 3.25 gallons.

.25oz Willamette @ 60min
.25oz Crystal @ 10min

.25 tablet of Whirlfloc @ 5min

OG: 1.040

Made my second batch of this because the first was a hit. Honestly I thought it was my second best batch last year. It's bubbling along nicely!

At 11 days in the bottle, the head dissipates quickly, but great flavor, color and aroma! Thanks Biermuncher for another great recipe! My niece is gonna enjoy her 21st bday with a case of this... ImageUploadedByHome Brew1391385650.610430.jpg

Just got done boiling my second batch of this, waiting for it to cool down now. Made a couple of substitutions based on what I had around. Only used half the amount of minute rice(all I had on hand), used all cascade hops(all I had) and bumped up the amount a bit, and added some DME to bump up the OG a bit to help with the extra hops. Will post more details and specific recipe I used once I have my OG and yeast pitched. Don't have a chiller yet so the brew pot's in a cold water bath. Luckily this time of year the cold water is just barely 40 degrees!

At 11 days in the bottle, the head dissipates quickly, but great flavor, color and aroma! Thanks Biermuncher for another great recipe! My niece is gonna enjoy her 21st bday with a case of this...View attachment 176808

I have a friend that is a BJCP National judge, and he said one of the hardest things to nail on a Cream Ale is the head. <insert joke here>
Especially bottling, I would think. Kegging can be tweaked.

Well that went a lot faster than expected. Just about 30 mins to 75 degrees in cold water bath only, no ice. It's a 3 gal recipe so all of the ingredients were cut down for that amount with .5 lbs DME added with about 20 minutes left in boil. Hop schedule was .5oz for 60m, and continuously hopped the last .4oz from 30m on and added the last .1oz at flameout. I'm still fairly new to brewing and I hope I didn't go overboard with the hops, but we shall see. Whirlpooled the boil kettle and siphoned into fermenter, wasn't too terribly worried about trub and I did get some in the fermenter. Basically siphoned off until the trub clogged my auto siphon and called it good, very little wort and still a lot of trub left behind. Usually I just dump it all in but decided to try something different. Added some pre-boiled water to get to my volume and went a little overboard and ended up with close to 3.5G. As a result my OG is 1.040, not too worried, it's a light beer anyway. Pitched a jar of US-05 slurry from the last time I made this recipe. Now the waiting starts.

Bottled my second batch of C3C last night and only got 7 six packs vs the normal 9. May have miscalculated the sparge water somewhat. Tasted awesome though. Any concern about over carbonation with 4 oz of corn sugar for priming, given a decreased yield by 144 oz?

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Bottled my second batch of C3C last night and only got 7 six packs vs the normal 9. May have miscalculated the sparge water somewhat. Tasted awesome though. Any concern about over carbonation with 4 oz of corn sugar for priming, given a decreased yield by 144 oz?

If you have the info needed, punch it into the calculator on this page.

http://hbd.org/cgi-bin/recipator/brew/widgets/bp.html

I tried to parse this thread for the answer, but I'm just not dedicated enough. Any thoughts on how this batch will turn out with 1084 Irish kept on the cool end? I would like to see one more repitch out of that strain before I let it go, but if it won't blend well I'm fine with reculturing Pacman or grabbing some s-05

I tried searching, but I can't find tasting notes other than "it's good"

Can someone point me to some tasting notes or provide some?

Thanks

I'm brewing this tomorrow, it will be my first all grain brew and I wanted to keep it cheap and easy. I am brewing 10 gallons and dry hopping five of it with extra Willamette hops. I'm also using 3 pounds flaked maze instead of four because that's all that was available so I am adding an extra pounds of minute rice to compensate.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Home Brew mobile app

I'm brewing this tomorrow, it will be my first all grain brew and I wanted to keep it cheap and easy. I am brewing 10 gallons and dry hopping five of it with extra Willamette hops. I'm also using 3 pounds flaked maze instead of four because that's all that was available so I am adding an extra pounds of minute rice to compensate.

I think this a great style of beer to do as one of your first AG brews. Thats what I did, although the recipe I used was even simpler than this. And your sub of more rice for corn should work out great! This was the first cream ale I did with this much corn in it, and I planned on subbing rice for corn next time too just to tone down the flavor ftom the corn. Enjoy the brewday!!

Thanks

Light in body and flavor, low hop bitterness. If bottle conditioned, it cleans up nicely in 2 weeks. White frothy head with slight hop aroma, and with a FG of 1.005, it is slightly dry and yet just a hint of sweet.

Thanks

My batch is 4 weeks old. 2 weeks in primary, 2 weeks in the bottle.

Straight from the fermenter, it had a creamed corn flavor.

I tried some at 7 days in the bottle, had a pronounced "creamed corn" sort of flavor still but the hops were coming through a bit. However, the brew was pretty young, and I was being impatient :) So I knew more time was needed to really see what it's like.

With an additional week of time in the bottle, it has mellowed now into a good balance of light hops (not bitter) with a crisp finish, light body, and very very clear golden color...and just a hint of that creamy corn-like flavor.

The head is creamy but recedes to about 1/8"-1/4" or so.

All in all, a good and easy drinking brew. Not overly complex and very approachable for just about anyone.

Thanks for the tasting notes guys...

I brewed it a month or so ago. I did use regular rice (boiled) vs minute (to save money), and I came out a little over OG&#8212;not by much though.

I cold crashed it for a while. It wouldn't clear very well, so I did gelatin. This was my first time using it. Wow... It's amazing how well it works.

This beer is dangerous. Seriously... It's very clean tasting and light. I could drink it until I do dangerous things. "Hey hold my beer and watch this..."

I don't get any corn at all. I can see how this could win over a crowd of non beer drinkers or BMC drinkers because it's really light and gets you drunk.

I originally brewed this for my girlfriend who is part of a softball (beer league) team. I brought a keg of drop top once, and they all complained it was too heavy, but they downed it in minutes of course. The majority drink pabst, so this will probably be a good one for the games. It's cheap too, so that's important!

I'm brewing the centennial blonde tomorrow.

image.jpg

Thanks for the tasting notes guys...

I brewed it a month or so ago. I did use regular rice (boiled) vs minute (to save money), and I came out a little over OG—not by much though.

I cold crashed it for a while. It wouldn't clear very well, so I did gelatin. This was my first time using it. Wow... It's amazing how well it works.

This beer is dangerous. Seriously... It's very clean tasting and light. I could drink it until I do dangerous things. "Hey hold my beer and watch this..."

I don't get any corn at all. I can see how this could win over a crowd of non beer drinkers or BMC drinkers because it's really light and gets you drunk.

I originally brewed this for my girlfriend who is part of a softball (beer league) team. I brought a keg of drop top once, and they all complained it was too heavy, but they downed it in minutes of course. The majority drink pabst, so this will probably be a good one for the games. It's cheap too, so that's important!

I'm brewing the centennial blonde tomorrow.

If you go to walmart or aldi or somewhere like it you can buy a generic minute rice that is very cheap.
should be real good for a ball game . This stuff is great outside on a hot day.

Well my strike temp calculator was way off I'm at 144 in the mash tun and boiling a small amount of wort to add back into it and bring it back up

If you go to walmart or aldi or somewhere like it you can buy a generic minute rice that is very cheap.
should be real good for a ball game . This stuff is great outside on a hot day.

I get rice in 25lb bags for like $18 at a Thai grocery store. It's the sweet rice (sticky rice). I cook it in a bamboo cone. It's the damn best rice. But I have so damn much rice it's not even funny, so I'll stick with boiling it. I'm happy with the results too, but thanks for the heads up.

I had to post this pix... My ipad camera sucks and the glass is a little frosty, but you can see the car from across the street. I'd say it cleared up nice.

image.jpg

I drinking some cream of three while brewing up some centennial blonde. Good times.

I used the concept here to do my latest, 4lb 2 row, 1 lb corn, and 1lb rice. I had to use slight amounts of nugget to make sure it worked the same ibu, but I hope its good

Well thanks again for the recipe. It has been a big hit among everyone who has tried it so far. It's actually a really big hit... I got pretty tipsy off It yesterday while I brewed the centennial blonde. It's just too damn easy to drink. Now I have high hops for this centenial blonde.

This will be a staple beer in my house.

I plan on leaving this two weeks in primary, it has been bubbling away like crazy for 3 days now. Then I will do 2 days with gelatin in secondary and after that I'm going to keg and dry hop five gallons of it in a keg and leave the other five gallons as is. Can't wait to try it

Cream Ale Recipe

This is a very simple, inexpensive cream ale recipe that will get every BMC drinker in the room enjoying homebrew. So named because of the three different crops that go into the grist (Barley, Corn and Rice).

I brewed up 10 gallons of this and after kegging, bottled up a case to take to a family event (Mothers Day). Even my 78-yr old FIL, who is strict Miller Lite drinker, ended up having two pints. The chics dug it and we ran out well before the end of the evening.

The grain bill is cheap and in this case, you can use Minute Rice instead of flaked rice. No step mashing required. Simply combine the ingredients and follow a simple single infusion mash at around 152 degrees. I also mashed this for 90 minutes to get a highly attenuated beer. FG was 1.005...leaving a very dry, crisp beer with no noticeable graininess.

While this doesn't adhere to the strict beer laws, and I don't consider this one of my "craft" efforts, it is without a doubt the beer that I get the most "you really made this beer?" comments.

So if you've got some hard core "If it ain't Budweiser it ain't beer&#8230;" drinking friends&#8230;give this a try.

This beer clears up quickest of any of my recipes.

View attachment 5581

Batch Size: 11.50 gal
Boil Size: 14.26 gal
Estimated OG: 1.040 SG
Estimated Color: 2.9 SRM
Estimated IBU: 14.3 IBU
Brewhouse Efficiency: 75.0 %
Boil Time: 90 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
12.00 lb Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM)
4.00 lb Corn, Flaked (1.3 SRM)
1.00 lb Minute Rice (1.0 SRM)

1.00 oz Williamette [5.20%] (60 min)
1.00 oz Crystal [3.50%] (60 min)

Is flaked corn the same as the corn flakes breakfast cereal you can buy at the grocery store? Just curious. Also, for a five gallon batch, do I just split the recipe in half? Thanks!

Is flaked corn the same as the corn flakes breakfast cereal you can buy at the grocery store? Just curious. Also, for a five gallon batch, do I just split the recipe in half? Thanks!

It's not the same. That's like asking if rice is the same as rice Krispy cereal.

Looks like a tasty recipe....just found it and have a question but don't feel like looking through all 114 pages.

Is the 5.5g batch recipe on the first page the one to go with? Or has it been modified to a better one?

The recipe is...

5.5 lbs two row

2.5 lbs corn

1.0 lbs rice

.50 oz Williamette [5.20%] (60 min)

.50 oz Crystal [3.50%] (60 min)

Thanks in advance.

This is what I use:
6.0 lbs two row

2.0 lbs corn

1.0 lbs rice

.60 oz Williamette [5.20%] (60 min)

.50 oz Crystal [3.50%] (60 min)

Not much has changed. This recipe is as good as when it was first posted, no improvement need.

just kegged 10 gallon of this on Tuesday, started pouring on Thursday evening

very nice beer I will be brewing another 11.5 gallons of this Tuesday

thanks for the recipe, I didn't have Crystal so I used Liberty

all the best

S_M

Back