Cream Ale Cream of Three Crops (Cream Ale)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've brewed maybe 20 batches of this stuff, and believe me, until you get it into secondary, it's one butt ugly beer.

I am brewing this again this weekend. I will say that after sitting in the keg for another week it has cleared up significantly since my gravity defying picture earlier lol. This time I will use the right amount of hops as the extra bitter doesnt work with such a light tasting beer in my opinion.

Just brewed this the weekend before last. Will be kegging it Sunday to hopefully be ready for Thanksgiving. I've never kegged before. What pressure should I set for the CO2?

By the way, the photo below is from last night. This is after a day of gelatin. Clear and tastes good.

IMG_0921.JPG

Just brewed this the weekend before last. Will be kegging it Sunday to hopefully be ready for Thanksgiving. I've never kegged before. What pressure should I set for the CO2?

By the way, the photo below is from last night. This is after a day of gelatin. Clear and tastes good.

IMG_0921.JPG

Once your beer is chilled, turn the gas on for 48 hours at about 30psi at about 40*F. After that, bleed the keg and turn the gas to about 14 psi until thanksgiving.

Try it after 24, 36, 48, and if you're still not up to your desired carb, give it another few hours at the 30 psi, but be careful not to let it sit too long.

Just an update on my first attempt. The first pick was much hazier then it is now. Fir reference i kegged this at 2 weeks originally. Definitly needs at least 3 ill go 4 next time though

ForumRunner_20121116_172725.jpg

I brewed this first with Nottingham. I fermented it out and gave it around 14 days total in the carboy. I then bottled it and it was stellar at around the 6 week mark.
I recently re-brewed this with US-05 and although it was bottled a mere 2 weeks ago it has a strong D. Thought I had my temps pretty well under control. I chose to move it out of my ferm freezer at day 3 to make room for 2 brews for a competition.
I suppose my ambient temps in the garage were not in the high 60s like I thought. :(

Wow this looks awesome. I just brewed a Cream ale (extract) and it didn't clear up nearly that beautifully.

Could be the extract that caused the haze though. All grain next time I brew this for sure!

How are you all getting this beer to clear so well? Cold crash before bottling? Should I use gelatin or Irish Moss? I've made CO3C 4 times now and it is fairly clear but never BMC clear like these last few pics.

IMG_0921.JPG

The only way you are going to get it to carb up in 4 days would be to chill it in the fridge, hook it up to 30 psi for 24 to 48 hours, then lower the pressure to 12-14 (depending on how you like it) and release the excess pressure. Start pulling a few pints each night to try it out. If it gets too carbed, you will need to unhook it from the gas and release the pressure in the keg to allow the CO2 to escape. If it isn't carbed enough, just bump the pressure up a little bit for a day and then lower it back down.

In the future, it is much easier to just set the keg in the fridge on 12-14 psi for about 2 weeks and it should be good to go at that point. I usually do it that way and you can get a few pints starting about a week, though they really won't be that carbonated, but still very drinkable :)

Like some of the others, I'm having trouble clarifying mine, too. I brewed this on Oct. 27, with Irish Moss in the boil. Last Saturday (Nov. 17), I moved it into the fridge to cold-crash. Last night, I added gelatin. I checked this morning, and it's still quite cloudy in the carboy.

Does this take several days to clear up? My other beers have all been crystal-clear by this point, but this is the first beer I've ever made which uses rice and corn. Do these adjuncts result in a longer clarification process?

Mine has always cleared quickly doing just what you are. Not sure what to suggest. Not sure how much more clearing you can expect at this point

Like some of the others, I'm having trouble clarifying mine, too. I brewed this on Oct. 27, with Irish Moss in the boil. Last Saturday (Nov. 17), I moved it into the fridge to cold-crash. Last night, I added gelatin. I checked this morning, and it's still quite cloudy in the carboy.

Does this take several days to clear up? My other beers have all been crystal-clear by this point, but this is the first beer I've ever made which uses rice and corn. Do these adjuncts result in a longer clarification process?

What kind of yeast are you using? Do you use a starter?

I did notice that the first couple batches I made using dry yeast with no starter the beer cleared quickly. With washed yeast and a starter it seems more cloudy.

What kind of yeast are you using? Do you use a starter?

I brewed it with Wyeast 2112, "California Lager" (but at ale temperatures). Yes, I made a 2L starter.

Come to think of it, this is the first beer to come to kegging stage which was brewed with a starter. I've done several starters for other batches, but they're all still fermenting. Is liquid yeast more susceptible to producing cloudy beers?

Maybe I'm just being impatient. I only put the gelatin in last night, it barely had 8 hours to work before I checked it this morning. I'll check it again tonight.

I brewed it with Wyeast 2112, "California Lager" (but at ale temperatures). Yes, I made a 2L starter.

Come to think of it, this is the first beer to come to kegging stage which was brewed with a starter. I've done several starters for other batches, but they're all still fermenting. Is liquid yeast more susceptible to producing cloudy beers?

Maybe I'm just being impatient. I only put the gelatin in last night, it barely had 8 hours to work before I checked it this morning. I'll check it again tonight.

Maybe it's coincidence but every beer I've made with a starter has been harder to clear than those I just pitched in dry yeast directly to the carboy. Maybe I'm overpitching? Not sure. The beer tastes great but just doesn't clear until it's been bottled in in the fridge for several weeks.

Brewed this last night with BIAB. Just got a new burner so I had some trouble hitting temp right but stayed around 150 for the most part. Got 1.052 before I pitched. Sitting in swamp cooler this morning bubbling good.

Maybe I'm just being impatient. I only put the gelatin in [Monday] night, it barely had 8 hours to work before I checked it this morning. I'll check it again tonight.

UPDATE: Nope, still pretty cloudy Wednesday morning. I was hoping to keg this batch Thursday night, now I'm thinking I might need to give it at least a week to clear a little more.

Seriously, has anyone else encountered this with this recipe?

kombat said:
UPDATE: Nope, still pretty cloudy Wednesday morning. I was hoping to keg this batch Thursday night, now I'm thinking I might need to give it at least a week to clear a little more.

Seriously, has anyone else encountered this with this recipe?

When I made it I do not remember it taking a while to clear. Did you try cold crashing (just reread that you did)? If not, I would just keg it and allow it to cold crash in the keg. I bet it will be sparkling clear in a week, maybe two.
I made this, yoopers yellow fizzy beer, and another beer similar to this all at the same time. I used washed yeast for one, dry yeast for another, and liquid yeast on another and they all seemed to clear about the same. Obviously, the longer I let them keg condition, the clearer they were. After a few weeks in the keg, they were all crystal clear and tasted much better.

I'm planning on brewing this soon (as my first AG brew) and plan on using US-05 for yeast. What is a good temp to ferment at with this brew? I tried searching in the thread, but had no success.

I'm planning on brewing this soon (as my first AG brew) and plan on using US-05 for yeast. What is a good temp to ferment at with this brew? I tried searching in the thread, but had no success.

recommended fermentation temperature for that yeast is 59-75, but I prefer to ferment at about 62-64 as i feel i will end up with cleaner flavors. Remember that if the room is 62, the wort temperature will be much higher due to the yeast activity.

amh61 said:

I like US-05 at about 62-64 for good clean results. This is beer temp, not ambient air temp. Remember that during active fermentation the beer may be 5-10 degrees higher than ambient due to its exothermic nature.

D_Nyholm said:
recommended fermentation temperature for that yeast is 59-75, but I prefer to ferment at about 62-64 as i feel i will end up with cleaner flavors. Remember that if the room is 62, the wort temperature will be much higher due to the yeast activity.

Haha, beat me to it! And almost the dme exact answer!

I just fermented US-05 at 64 degrees. The flavor is good. I thought it may have a little "tartness". Not sour. I have become a fan of US-05.

I live how clean S-05 has been in my last few brews. One thing i found with this recipe is it takes about 4weeks fir the corn taste to settle out. I love this as my after work chill beer.

I live how clean S-05 has been in my last few brews. One thing i found with this recipe is it takes about 4weeks fir the corn taste to settle out. I love this as my after work chill beer.

This is VERY noticable for me as well! I bottle condition and it is way too fruity and tart until it has aged at least 4 weeks, better at 6 weeks before chilling and drinking. It just keeps getting crisper and cleaner tasting the longer it ages. :tank:

so boil for 30 minutes and then add hops for 60 , right ?
does this not come out very bitter with no flavoring hops or malt etc to counteract it ?

so boil for 30 minutes and then add hops for 60 , right ?
does this not come out very bitter with no flavoring hops or malt etc to counteract it ?

I brewed this with twice the amount of hops and there is hardly any bitter at all. This beer really reminds me of PBR. I think you could try alternate hops but i think the beer is too thin to get fancy with. I have another cream ale recipe that has a little.more body and sweetness that allows for fancy hop additiins. I love it with cascade hops

Brewing 10 gal batch of this now.

Don't have brewing software but I just multiplied the original recipe by .87 to get a 10 gal batch.

I also didn't use minute rice but flaked rice. Hope that is fine.

I'm wondering if I'm crazy for starting a 10 gal batch at 4 pm and doing another 10 gal Nut Brown Ale after... hoping this won't be a marathon!

Started brewing at 4 pm finished around midnight. Long day but it was this 10 gal ag batch and another 10 gal ag Nut Brown Ale recipe from here.

Pretty pumped to have 20 gal in the pipeline!

Update: it has mellowed nicely, I brewed 8 more gallons, still not a fan but it is my "gateway" brew for all the BMC drinkers. I see it's a hit for others so it will be staying in rotation.

I have 5 gallons kegged that i decided to naturally carb with priming sugar. Its for a part on the 22nd so i hope it comes out ok. I noticed at 3 weeks it wasnt as clear as the last time i brewed it. I did have a minir boil over though so maybe there was just more prituen haze this time.

Changed this a bit for fun and had a total of 13.5lbs of base malt, 1.5lbs crystal 15L, and .5lbs carapils. Also instead of willamette i did falconer's flight as that's what I had and added a very small additional at 15 of both and adjusted all amounts so IBUs would stay the same.
Turned out pretty good so far, I just wish I had the original to base off of to see how different they both are.
Good easy and cheap recipe for sure though! Will brew it again for sure!

Changed this a bit for fun and had a total of 13.5lbs of base malt, 1.5lbs crystal 15L, and .5lbs carapils. Also instead of willamette i did falconer's flight as that's what I had and added a very small additional at 15 of both and adjusted all amounts so IBUs would stay the same.
Turned out pretty good so far, I just wish I had the original to base off of to see how different they both are.
Good easy and cheap recipe for sure though! Will brew it again for sure!

Sounds like you just brewed Centennial Blonde Ale! https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f66/centennial-blonde-simple-4-all-grain-5-10-gall-42841/

So i just tasted my latest batch of this that i naturally keg carbed. I am deffinatly going back to my original recipe were i didnt halve the hops from the original recipe.

OK.

After years of beer abuse, I've sought professional (self) help to cure me of my high alcohol homebrew addiction :D

I'll be cranking out a nice 8.5 gal batch of this soon. Hopefully my treatment will continue.

Update: I just found the BierMuncher Blonde. Think I'll be going with that instead. Either way -- I'm guessing it'll be a serious hit compared to my other brews (avg 6.5% usually)

OK.

After years of beer abuse, I've sought professional (self) help to cure me of my high alcohol homebrew addiction :D

I'll be cranking out a nice 8.5 gal batch of this soon. Hopefully my treatment will continue.

Update: I just found the BierMuncher Blonde. Think I'll be going with that instead. Either way -- I'm guessing it'll be a serious hit compared to my other brews (avg 6.5% usually)
I made this, BM Centennial Blonde and Yooper fizzy yellow beer. They are all similar and all good. Pick whichever you like and I think you will be happy.

Back