Cream Ale Cream of Three Crops (Cream Ale)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks a ton for the recipe as well as all your input throughout this string, Biermuncher! I brewed this yesterday and everything went smooth as silk. I am looking forward to using gelatin as a clarifier for the first time.

Quick question--in an early thread you mentioned that you use gelatin in the secondary, then you also put in an additional amount of gelatin in your keg when kegging. I am bottle conditioning my batch--would there be any benefit to adding a small amount of gelatin to the bottling bucket or is that just overkill?

Thanks again and best wishes!

Lager version transfered into a secondary. Still too young to get a good taste on it.

OG - 1.052 6.0 gallons
FG - 1.008 5.25 gallons

Now to set it and forget it for 6-8 weeks.

I just kegged my first go at this recipe. The sample was great! Crisp, light, and VERY clear (I didn't use Whirlfloc or Gelatin) Thanks for the recipe, it'll for sure be a regular brew around here!

Wow!!! I was aiming for a 6 gallon batch and I ended up getting 94% efficiency with this grain bill.

6lb Briess 2-row
2lb flaked corn
1lb enriched white rice (rinsed until the water was clear to remove the vitamins)

I did a 30 minute protein rest (for the rice) and a 60 minute mash with two 1.75 gallon sparges and a 75 minute boil and ended up with 6.33 gallons of 1.047 gravity wort.

I just bottled my 6 gallon version last night. It tasted pretty damn good for being warm and flat.

The gravity at bottling ended up being 1.010 with White Labs California Ale Yeast (78% attenuation). I expected a little bit better attenuation since there is 3 pounds of adjunct grains, but the ABV is slightly higher than the original Co3C recipe.

It was still very cloudy after 18 days in primary. I'm guessing that will clear up pretty well in the bottles.

Great recipe. Brewed this a few weeks ago. Everything went well.

Hit OG of 1.052 and FG of 1.006 with Safale05 pitched dry.

Mashed at 149F for 90 min and 90 min boil.

Primary 3 weeks at 66F, secondary 5 days with gelatin.

Only been in the keg 5 days and tastes fantastic and it's super clear. Can't wait for my BMC drinkers to try.

Thanks BM!

Has any one naturally carbed this brew in a keg? i brewed it on 3/12 and need it for a party on 4/2. I only have room for 2 kegs in my kegerator and both taps are in use. I plan on carbing naturally and serving via a picnic tap and this.http://www.northernbrewer.com/brewing/soda-keg-co2-.

TIA

Zman

21 days at 70 degrees for proper carbonation. I don't think you have time. :mug:

zman said:
Has any one naturally carbed this brew in a keg? i brewed it on 3/12 and need it for a party on 4/2. I only have room for 2 kegs in my kegerator and both taps are in use. I plan on carbing naturally and serving via a picnic tap and this.http://www.northernbrewer.com/brewing/soda-keg-co2-.

TIA

Zman

Just force carbonate it!

What about this scenario. I have a 2 tap kegerator, one regulator with a 3 way splitter(with check valves). If I disconnect one of the kegs that is already carbed, disconnect it and hook up the COTC keg to carb for 2 weeks @13psi. Will I ruin the one I disconnect if I leave it at room temp for the two weeks?

Other scenario is to see if I can fit 3 kegs in my Danby. If I cannot will the first scenario be ok?

Wow,
Tried this off the keg the other night for the first time. All of my BMC friends will love it. I cannot believe how light this tastes! I might have to do this one for my brother in laws wedding. Definitely a gateway beer, personally I think it needs a bit more flavor ;)

I stumbled across this recipe the other day, and after reading all of the 80-plus pages, I think I want to brew this beer this weekend.

I do have a couple of questions about how the recipe has evolved. On several occasions, BierMuncher has posted that he now replaces some of the corn with table sugar.

I found that if I pull the corn and rice down by 50% and replace with table sugar, that cream ale characteristic (slight corn flavor) goes away and the beer gets much crisper.

Tell you what...pull out a half pound of the 2-row and a half pound of the corn and replace with 1 pound of simple table sugar. That will really lighten up and dry out this beer. That's a pretty normal practice for me with my "house" beer.

So, if the original grain bill for 11.5 gallons was:

Cream Ale Recipe
Ingredients:
------------
12.00 lb Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM)
4.00 lb Corn, Flaked (1.3 SRM)
1.00 lb Minute Rice (1.0 SRM)

Should I go with:

11.50 lb Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM)
3.50 lb Corn, Flaked (1.3 SRM)
1.00 lb Table sugar

Or should I pull back on just the corn (or corn and rice) and leave the malt at 12 lb?

Thanks and thanks to BierMuncher for the recipe.
-peabody304

I stumbled across this recipe the other day, and after reading all of the 80-plus pages, I think I want to brew this beer this weekend.

I do have a couple of questions about how the recipe has evolved. On several occasions, BierMuncher has posted that he now replaces some of the corn with table sugar.

So, if the original grain bill for 11.5 gallons was:

Should I go with:

11.50 lb Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM)
3.50 lb Corn, Flaked (1.3 SRM)
1.00 lb Table sugar

Or should I pull back on just the corn (or corn and rice) and leave the malt at 12 lb?

Thanks and thanks to BierMuncher for the recipe.
-peabody304

FWIW, I was just listening to the Jamil Show - Cream Ale podcast here. He recommends using half pilsner malt and half 2-row, and only boiling for 75. This leaves some DMS and adds to the corn flavor. Might want to check it out? http://www.thebrewingnetwork.com/shows/The-Jamil-Show/Cream-Ale-The-Jamil-Show-12-18-06

I've made this several times ( the original recipe ) and the corn flavor definitely comes through. I'll probably make another batch for a Memorial Day camping trip and I'm thinking of backing off on the corn a bit.

My plan was to just bump up the rice and drop the corn to get the same OG. However the table sugar might just be the ticket.

So after almost a month in this keg the beer has definitely settled out (after I screwed up and made it an imperial cream ale) It tastes really nice and does not have a strong alcohol flavor.

Maybe I just got use to it though heh.

Howdy,

Here's my latest run of C3C.
I found some Forbidden Black Rice and subbed it for the flaked rice in the recipe.
I cooked the rice as directed and added it to the mash. I was hoping to get the color of the rice (dark purple) into the beer. Not so much. It's got a orange tinge but the head has a light pink color. The rice itself lent a nutty flavor that stands out in the beer. It's clean, clear, tasty and different. Thanks again for the terrific recipe!

Cheers,
Bob

100_2065.jpg

Both of my brothers (1 who is older than me and 'hates beer' and the other who is younger than me and is very slowly starting to appreciate beer) and SWMBO all love this beer.
Unfortunately, the batch I made is oxidated... so SWMBO and I are trying to finish off what is left of the 6 gallons before it goes bad.

just tapped this beer. i kegged it on 3/22 with gelatin and brewed it on 2/26. It is remarkably clean and tastes like a full bodies BMC.

BM - i keep coming back to you for light beers. i've made your Blonde Ale (4 times), Belgian Wit, Cream Ale and I brewed up your Litehaus Wheat yesterday. i generally stick to my own recipes for IPAs, PAs, Stouts, and Porters but maybe i should just be a BierMuncher brewery.

If I do the same thing, would there be biermuncher franchises? This is an awesome beer, and I just tapped another keg of it last night. Great band practice beer!

BM what do you think of using pacman for this? i am considering doing this as a 5 gal starter for my barleywine im brewing sometime in april

I'm not BM, nor am I an expert in identifying flavors, but I'm currently on my second keg from a 10-gallon batch fermented with pacman, and I like it. The first one I ever did was with US-05, and it too was good. I'm not great at picking out subtle differences, and I can't attribute the flavor differences to pacman as I use a slightly different hop schedule almost every time I make this, but both were delicious and consumed with many compliments. :)

ok, so I just bottled my version of this. I used pregelatinized rice flakes and flaked corn for a 5 gallon batch. I subbed two items,

Liberty hops in place of Willamette.

I used Kolsch yeast in place of S-05.

Two other points of interest: I pitched one vial of both Wyeasts Kolsch strain and White Labs. I didn't build up a starter and did this just for experimental purposes.

I kept the initial fermentation at no higher than 65, closer to the low 60's though by and large. After initial fermentation, ( which was explosive, requiring a blow off tube and a krausen that remained stuck like a blanket to the area of the carboy above the liquid level for the entirety of the ferment), I cold conditioned it in the coldest corner of my basement. I left the carboy up against cold concrete walls and a concrete floor. It stayed at a relatively constant 53f for the better part of two month.

Just bottled it today. Tastes faaaaaar better than I had hoped for, even without bottle conditioning. Bottled with 120 grams of corn sugar.

It has the smooth easy drinking qualities of both a cream ale and a kolsch, with an added touch of ever so slight fruitiness from the afformentioned kolsch yeast and liberty hops.

fingers crossed.

I am planning on brewing this tomorrow. I plan to use:

6# 2-row
2# Flaked Corn
0.5# Flaked Rice

So I'm just dividing the original in half to come up with 5.5 gallon batch. Should I scale this down any differently?

Also, I batch sparge and do the double sparge method. I plan to do a 90 minute boil (have only done 60 until now).

I want about 7.6 gallons pre-boil to get pretty close to my 5.5 after boil off. To do this I will mash with 3 gallons (collect about 1.6gallons). Then each sparge will be 3 gallons. Since there is only 8.5# of grain will I risk oversparging?

Thanks in advance

I made this yesterday. Halved the recipe and used a pound of rice instead of a half. Also I used half ounce of cascade in lieu of crystal which I didn't have. Only mistake was that I added too much water at the start of the boil as I haven't done a long boil before of 90 minutes (didn't want to oversparge) so I had to dump a half gallon when I was done due to lack of carboy space. Came out to 1.044 sg.

It is quite cloudy but is sure to clear up soon. I am amazed how light in color it is-hopefully it isn't light on flavor.

was looking through this thread, but i figured someone nice will help me out =0

Can this be done BIAB (I ask because of the rice and corn and what not)

How long should I mash?

thanks!

was looking through this thread, but i figured someone nice will help me out =0

Can this be done BIAB (I ask because of the rice and corn and what not)

How long should I mash?

I'm by no means an authoritative answer, but the 20 gallons of the Cream of Three Crops my friends, family and I have consumed would, at least to me, indicate that BIAB was successful :) It was my first all grain and BIAB brew session, and it was so easy that I've stuck with BIAB. Now - to brew some more!

This is a really good brew!! Easy and quick to make. It was the first keg kicked ( under 4 hrs) at the party I brought it to. Granted the other kegs were Blue Moon and Bud Light but this was a BMC crowd

I know there have been a few variations of this recipe, but has anyone eliminated the flaked corn all together and just bumped up the amount of rice used? i know several people have suggested on cutting back on the corn, so just wondering if it was removed completely and replaced with more rice how that would affect the beer.

I know there have been a few variations of this recipe, but has anyone eliminated the flaked corn all together and just bumped up the amount of rice used? i know several people have suggested on cutting back on the corn, so just wondering if it was removed completely and replaced with more rice how that would affect the beer.

I did that on my first batch, it came out well

Yes, I did exactly that and it was really good.

I've posted this elsewhere but this is probably the better spot.

I brewed this on Saturday (all grain, 5.5 gal batch).
Somehow, I got 1.060 into the fermenter. The only good explanation is mis-weighed grains. i didn't check pre-boil gravity so no adjustments to hops were made.

Anyway, any guesses as to how it will turn out? maybe I should dry hop it.

BM, I have a bone to pick with you. Followed your instructions to the T tonight... second time I have done this beer but first time using a yeast slurry,

Please put a warning on this recipe. "Beer will blast off when racked onto a prior yeast slurry". I didn't have time to finish cleaning and I was scrambling for a blow off hose, which luckily I had. Never had to use one before.

Thanks for this excellent beer, and for getting me hooked on using prior slurries. Now I am even thinking of yeast washing!

Back