Cream Ale??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

acesb422

Reaction score
I finally got my cream ale kit from Ahs and it has an OG of 1.054. Would that be something that I consider using a blow tube with?? Also, I am going to brew it either tomorrow night or Sat. and my empty primary has a hint of smell from my last brew, is that going to be an issue or should i not worry about it?????

acesb422 said:
I finally got my cream ale kit from Ahs and it has an OG of 1.054. Would that be something that I consider using a blow tube with?? Also, I am going to brew it either tomorrow night or Sat. and my empty primary has a hint of smell from my last brew, is that going to be an issue or should i not worry about it?????

I just did a cream ale that came out with an OG of 1.042. I used a massive starter of wyeast american ale. I rigged up a blow-off because I was going to be gone for 2 days, but it was overkill. My guess would be that it won't really be necessary, but for how easy it is, why not.

Greg

I am actually drinking the AHS Cream ale right now. I have a 6.5 as my primary and had no issue.

Regarding the smell, even my glass carboys have seemed to pick up a hint of smell. Does not seem to affect anything for me.

if its a hoppy smell my primary has picked that up as well. got rid of it with soaking it with breach water then rinsing with boiled water. with something like a cream ale I would be slightly worried about it picking that smell up. thats just me though and I am anal retentive about my brews . just ask my roommate who refuses to brew with me anymore because I take it very seriosly lol

if you're using plastic, it will pick up odor. if you are brewing only beer in it, i wouldn't worry about it. just sanitize properly. my recent cream ale was one of the best brews i've ever made. good luck with this one!

(i wouldn't worry about a blow-off tube)

Back