cream ale/maibock questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sagec1001

Reaction score
hey all! few questions here..
i have two kits i need to get made.. a cream ale and a maibock.. the kit contents are as follows

cream ale
4 lbs pilsen dme
1 lb brewers crystals
1 oz liberty at 60
1 oz liberty at 10
safale 05

maibock
3.3 lbs munich lme
6 lbs pilsen dme
1 oz hallertau
saflager 23

my questions would be... could/should i add specialty grains to either? i have carapils, caramel 10 40 and 60 .. also have some 2 row and others and can do partial mash..

i was thinking of adding 6 or 8 oz of carapils to the cream ale to give it some head.

should i use more/less or different hops? have quite a few different kinds

i really don't want to lager as i do not have the setup and switching out frozen water bottles is a royal pita and nearly impossible yo keep on top of with my schedule... so my last question would be how would the bock taste if i just made an ale out of it and pitched it on top of the cream ale yeast cake when that is done fermenting? good idea? bad idea or alternative recommendations?

any recommendations on any of this or how i can make either better would be much appreciated.

on my phone so please forgive typos and grammar

as always thanks!

Cody

cream ales made now so I guess my primary question would be if i can pitch the maibock on top of the yeast slurry from the cream ale? This should help the larger gravity of the maibock and cream ale isn't going to impart any off flavors. Just looking for recommendations if this is ok since its an ale yeast and how different it might turn out if left to condition for some time before drinking...

Any specialty grains for the maibock? from what i read they are low/non-existant in caramel to keep light color so maybe some carapils 8oz or so? or no?

anybody?

Just need to verify adding 8 oz carapils to maibock even though it wont be a maibock, and
ok to pitch on top of cream ale yeast which i dont see a problem other than it being an ale yeast. Should i ferment on low end side of it, 64ish?? let rest once done ferementing for a month or two or three etc?

Back