Cream Ale critique

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Spectre216

Reaction score
So this is the first time I am trying to make my own recipe. Started from scratch with a little bit of reading about malt %'s for the style. Hoping to get a little insight on how I did since this would be the first recipe I have tried to make from scratch, especially since I don't know much about hops and was trying to keep the IBUs within BrewTarget's style guidelines. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Based on 65% efficiency

7lbs 6-Row pale malt
4lbs 2-Row pale malt
1lb Flaked Corn
8oz Cara-pils

1oz Fuggles @ 60
.5oz Fuggles @ 60

US-05 yeast

I've never used 6 row in my cream ale because there is talk about it adding a grainy character. Of course I wouldn't know because I've never used it. I usually do about 80% 2 row and 20% flaked corn, still hit same efficiency with the 2 row. I've used liberty and cascade hops and the cascade one received 1st place in a competition (although they noted the fruitiness, that they thought was from the yeast, was a bit out of place).

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

I was thinking of adding Munich as I have read that it helps boost maltyness, any thoughts towards how that might lend to the style?

Also thanks, I wasn't sure what kind of hops to use and didn't want to use way too much of something. I'll definitely look into using cascade instead.

Latest posts

Back