crazy thought about cooling my wort..

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

anteup02

Reaction score
so being it is very cold today, was wondering if i brew tonight if i could just take my brew pot outside to cooldown instead of using the ice bath (due to the fact i have to keep changing the water out....now i see no reason this would be bad for my beer, but figured i better check here first! thoughts?

If you are planning on keeping it out overnight it might not be necessary. I've put the lid over wort and let it set overnight before and it was pitch temp by morning.

On the other hand, when I made a stout on Tuesday I had to go to class right after brewing so I put the lid on the pot and set it out on the back porch. It was between 25-30 degrees before the 20ish mph wind (so wind chill was probably teens or single digits) and when I returned 1.5 hours later the wort was about 150 degrees. So if you want it cooled fast, putting it outside might not do much unless you can put it in a snow bank and keep the sides covered in snow.

Plan on brewing my first batch on Saturday. We have lots of snow so I plan on putting my kettle in a snow bank to cool it down.

I guess I will do the sink thing then. I also ready about putting frozen water bottles in the wort. After sanitizing them of course.

You can use the snow in the sink, just be sure it's mostly water. Soda bottle thing sounds like a good idea. I might try that this weekend.

if you bury yourself in the snow you can stay warm because it keeps your body heat in. i imagine burying a boiling hot pot of wort in the snow would have the same effect.

Back