Crazy/stupid/against god etc.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RachmaelBenApplebaum

Reaction score
So, I know there's some stuff floating around these boards about doing a 100% oat malt brew. Now, I don't have malted oats, and forgive me for this, but I was thinking of groats, gelatinizing them, and then hitting them with amylase enzyme to convert it, sparge, boil, hop lightly, and ferment it. I imagine it would come out the color of dishwater/milk and be strangely slimy with some alcohol content. Say a 2-gallon batch wouldn't be so bad, and if it's palatable there's enough to share :) Sick? Crazy? Pointless? All of the above? Throw in minute rice? Sweet potatoes? Carrots? Brown sugar? Berries/fruits(bananas?)? Tamari at bottling?

Internet! Do your job!

Have you tried a half-and-half malted barley and oats/groats brew? Might let you test the waters, so to speak, before fully committing to the heresy.

I've thrown oats into a mash, and they do gret and all, but I wanna whip up something you dare people to drink :) and maybe they'll like it. I'f you're gonna push the envelope, sh** or get off the pot!

Nothing could be more in the true spirit of homebrew.
This from a bloke who has brewed with 100% home malted corn AND even brewed with nothing but Korean roasted barley.
I think you should add summer berries of some sort with a stick or two of cinnamon.

Beer 5000 years ago is fine, gonna man up and down some ancient brew! I think in my down time I'm gonna make some fermented porridge, with pictures! Gimme like 2 days! I also have a 1/2 gallon batch of partigyle that I just exposed to air and it started fermenting after about 4 days that actually smells acceptable. So berries and cinnamon, maybe brown sugar, some vanilla extract, and bread yeast/us-05, wild ambient yeast in the air of my house that seems to be a top fermenting mutant of some variety. Also thinking Belle Saison would be a nice touch if fermented hot to push the esters. You guys/gals/albino shapeshifting lizard B****es are an inspiration!

Go for it. You might not try to call it beer but what's life without a little experimentation.

I'll get into it tomorrow, gonna dump some stuff and start off on my base for a sherry mead so I'll hit this up too, recipe, pics & all. MY WILL BE DONE!

Latest posts

Back