Crazy high ABV must be doing something wrong

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

krc333

Reaction score
I bottled a Belgium white this weekend and my FG was 1.16, and according to my notes my SG was 1.30. When I threw that into the ABV calculator it says my ABV is 16%. There’s no way that right because this was a partial mash batch, 5 gallons that I got from the beer store. It thought those were pretty straight forward on how they should come out.

I think my SG reading is way wrong. Could I have actually done something to make the ABV to really come out to 16%. I just started measuring my beer. Any ideas what it should have been?

My guess is you didn't cool the sample before taking your Original Gravity reading. You probably got 1.030 at about 170 degrees or whatever your sample was it, you need to temp correct that to 60 degrees, so it would be more like 1.055 or so, a good starting gravity.

Your final gravity is probably correct at 1.016, although that is a bit high for a wit, it might need to ferment a bit further.

Anyway if my theory is correct you would have about 5.5% alcohol. But if you do have 16% ABV you will sure as heck taste it!

My guess is you read it incorrectly as JMSetzler said. Take a good look at the hydrometer and make sure you're reading it right. I was reading it wrong and had similar readings as you for my first two batches. I felt like an idiot when I realized why the numbers were so wrong...

The second marked line on mine is 1.1...and nothing went above that ever.

I must be reading it wrong then, I tasted some of it before bottling and it didn’t taste like it was 16%. I need to figure out how to read the damn thing. It was in the primary for exactly 30 days so I doubt it needed to sit any longer. It looked and smelled great so either way it should be drinkable.

I’m guessing it was a lot warmer than the 60 degrees needed. Thanks guys, next batch I’ll take a closer look.

Latest posts

Back