Crazy fermentation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bjzelectric

Reaction score
Brewed 2 batches yesterday both using liquid yeasts. I made starters for them and added yeast nutrient to both starters and in each boil. Just a half tsp or so. So now my airlocks keep blowing off. Luckily, I set a box over each carboy. I rigged up a blow off tube (1 1/4") and that is even blowing out. One time I was standing near it and it almost hit me in the face. Has anyone had this happen before and if so what did you do? On one of them, I just left it open, figuring theres enough gas escaping that it wont let anything in. The other one I used electric tape to secure the tube...seems to be working.

i'd turn a plastic cup (or something along those lines) upside down and put it over the open carboy's hole, just to make sure nothing can fall/climb in. i'm an inexperienced bucketboy myself though

Weird. Unless there's some sort of additive (like fruits), i always just use my siphon tube and stick it in the bucket lid and never have had any issues.

I agree with Freelancer. If your fermentation is that strong, there's really not going to be any air going in. As long as you can guard it from particles getting dropped in I think you're fine.

What temp are you fermenting at? What yeast? OG? Fermentation gets crazier the higher temp you ferment at. The ****ty thing abuot it is that strong fermentation generates heat which generates stronger fermentation.

Yea Im fermenting at about 72 degrees and Ive already lost about half of what was in the carboy. Most of it is soaked up into my carpet. I used WLP300 with an OG of 1.044. I think it was that yeast nutrient that I used.

Back