Crazy Electrical Problem in my gas powered DIY project

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi Guys;

First of all, thanks for read this. I'm facing a crazy problem in my new build that I would like to solve... I'm working with a PID, a solenoid valve and a Electrical Igniter (I've stolen from my old oven). to make a natural gas powered system.

My install is exactly like that:

O9cH6hT.png

The problem is that every time the electrical igniter kicks in, the PID controller just reset itself... I Have no Idea why this is happens.

It would be great to have some help from you guys.

Below there are some pics of my automatic system (yes, it is very ugly lol)

3J2T90C.jpg

dhkp5kp.jpg

Any help on why this is happening will be greatly appreciated.

I think you are going to have to add a SSR between the pid and the loads. If that is a Snr then you will be able to wire it directly to the SSR, if that is a rnr then you will have to run low voltage with it to work.

I guess I don't under stand the timed relay, all you really need is a pid, a switch, SSR, solenoid valve and a pilot light.

I guess I don't under stand the timed relay, all you really need is a pid, a switch, SSR, solenoid valve and a pilot light.

Hi, the problem is that it's very hard (aka impossible) to find a Honeywell pilot here in my country, so I'm stuck with Electric igniters...

If I was you i would run a SSR between the PID and solenoid (it will save the PID) as for the igniter since you can't find a honeywell I would Tee into your burner with another gas line for a small pilot light that you could ignite at the very beginning of your brew.

I suspect the spark generator is creating a lot of electrical noise (EMI) on your mains, and that noise is too much for the PID to handle. You need some kind of noise filtering on the power and neutral going into the spark generator after the relay. Something like this should work. You can probably find cheaper on ebay if you don't mind waiting for shipping from China.

Brew on :mug:

One thing that I learned from my build is how dangerous the automated gas system can be. Have you thought about going electric. It would be cheaper in the long run.

Back