Cratchit Christmas Cheer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

azazel1024

Reaction score
I was influenced a bit by SA's Old Fezziwig, but I wasn't going for a clone.

3.75G batch
3.5lbs Pale 2-row malt
2lbs Mild malt
1.25lb Munich malt
10oz Crystal 80l malt
5oz Victory malt
4oz Pale Chocolate malt
.5oz Cascade 60 min
.5oz Cascade 15 min
.5oz Cluster 3 min
1 large cinnamon stick crushed 5 min
4 whole cloves 5 min
1/2oz minced ginger 5 min
1/2oz chicory 5 min
1/2tsp Irish Moss 5 min (I meant to put it in for 15, but I forgot it till the last few minutes)
S-04 Ale Yeast

SRM 18 1.063OG 28IBU

The thing smelled awesome and pre-yeast taste test is promising. The spices are not overpowering, but you can just taste them in the background.

I am going to let it sit in the primary for 3 weeks and then bottle it. That'll give it a bit over a week to bottle condition before Christmas.

I just bottled it Tuesday night, after a little confusion with the Belgian Dubble I had in an identical fermenter with identical airlock that also happened to be sitting in the same spot in my basement fermenting for the last 5 weeks. The Cratchit had a good 3 1/2wks.

It was difficult as the SRMs were very close, same volume batch too and I have a stuffed nose from a cold.

Anyway, a thief sorted it out.

It tastes good. A little sweet and malty, a bit of spice to it, but low (like I wanted), good body. I really like the cluster hops in it (I had never used them before). I am anxiously looking forward to popping a bottle in a few days once it is carbed up.

Turned out at 1.011FG for 6.8% ABV, a slight bit higher than where I wanted it, but still in the range.

Back