Craigslist Freezer Score

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LumberjackJohn

Reaction score
Hey everyone, got this tonight from a guy on the NW side of town. Its a Holiday seven (7) cubic foot chest freezer. I paid $50 so I don't think I did too bad. Right now I'm going to use it as a fermentation chamber, as I don't keg yet.

1iyeeb.jpg

eg1klx.jpg

10pd5s8.jpg

As you can see, I can fit either two 5 gallon carboys or two buckets in it, or one of each. Since I only brew one batch at a time right now, there's some dead space, but I will work it out!

Whats the point of fermenting inside of a freezer? Seems like a waste of money to me.

Obviously I'm going to regulate the temperature. Not having central air, the house is always hot and the temp never stable. This will let me control that variable.

Nice score LJJ. Get yourself an external controller and let the fermenting begin. Nothing better than being able to control temps at specific settings for the perfect pint.

Yeah, my last few batches have all had something off about them. I can't be sure it was the fermenting temp, but at least this way I can mostly rule that out of the next batches. I'm thinking of wiring up my own like I've seen on the DIY forums. Go to HD and get a Rite Temp.

Back