CraftBeerPi - Raspberry Pi Software

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yeah but if you make it that neat, no troubleshooting will be needed. Where's the fun in that?? ;)

I could have been really neat and do something as pictured below, but that has 2 problems:

1- It costs a lot more
2- No fun tracing wires

stock-photo-wiring-control-panel-with-wires-210360745.jpg

61f9e253cc96f8d53db909bfa7967b87.jpg

I need such a box :D I found only small ones where I can't fit everything...

My box is 12x12x4. I have room for a 12v/5v power supply (dell laptop power brick), Pi, 5 relays, 2 twist lock outputs, autosparge water level circuit, and about 10 buttons/switches.

What are you putting in yours that is consuming your real estate?

ops sorry you probably use inches? :D my bad. I have much smaller box than yours then and I have difficulties to fit everything, especially with heatsinks for relays...

ops sorry you probably use inches? :D my bad. I have much smaller box than yours then and I have difficulties to fit everything, especially with heatsinks for relays...

Yeah, sorry, inches.

I mount the heat sink on the outside of the box. gives it a bit of an industrial look. then I put the relays mounted through drilled holes through the steel. To each their own though for the look they want. I probably could get all of the heat sinks inside the box if I had to.

What box are you using?

my box is 7,5 x 5,5 x 2,75 (inch), pretty small but the shop where I was looking for them had only this as biggest one. I did make few controllers in different boxes but this one I am making for myself and wanted a nice compact look and dimensions. I will look for something different :) If not I will just laser cut from wooden sheet like this http://www.makercase.com/ with fingers.

There are a couple PWM logic add-ons in pull request status. These are aimed at boil control. You can implement them manually if you want to test. They have been discussed earlier in this thread.

i have been testing mine with promising results, but on the 2 batches we did this weekend, we still had to babysit for boil-overs especially during the protein break.

Finally got around to testing it. After a couple tweaks it was running great. We did our first batch last week on the new system and boil was a mess between boiling over and then not boiling with all the logics we tried. Tonight we decided to do a test with yours and were very happy with the results. I think that problem is finally solved. Thanks for taking the time to do the work. Made a quick video of it.

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rZVmMDoVnOM[/ame]

Hey Everyone!
Thought id post some pics of a project I am working on.
Not sure if we are going to sell the boards and whatnot but i figured i should at least get some feedback from the community.

312a3gy.jpg

167v11h.png

25sy42w.gif

This board was designed to be as small and clean as possible as well as utilise the (as far as we know) features of CraftBeerPi rev3 (board subject to change :)).
It is no larger than the Pi itself and includes transistor isolation for all IO, RPI screen power output and a 5v buck converter.

It has also been set up to control dual elements for a fast boil or back to back set up.

Still a work in progress but let me know what you think and if there are any questions or ideas!

about what features in rev3 are you writing what you had to change?

Its not that we ARE changing anything, just trying to base the board off the fact that CraftBeerPi stated on facebook that the GPIO would be customizable with plugins. "As is" the board would work just fine with the current rev of CraftBeerPi. THe main thing we want to do is have a way to easily hook up and control dual elements in each the HLT and the Boil kettle.

Ran into a little snag after a bit of testing. I have my esp8266-01 modules connected to my ds18b20 and they are serving up web pages fine. started to write the scripts that would run periodically to gather this information from them and then drop that information into a file. The problem i'm finding here is that I cannot create my own directories within the /sys/bus/w1/devices structure because... well it's a devices location and even with sudo, i'm not able to make a folder.

Is there a location where CBPi reads a config file looking for the sensors and can I specify a different location for these sensors' log files? or does the software just cat the w1_slave file right from that directory?

I have more boards in stock now...for those of you that just wanted a PCB ($6 USD), DIY Kit ($25 USD) or a completed / tested board ($45USD), prices include shipping anywhere in North America. Please send me a pm and I can ship one to you ASAP.

newboard.jpg

I have more boards in stock now...for those of you that just wanted a PCB ($6 USD), DIY Kit ($25 USD) or a completed / tested board ($45USD), prices include shipping anywhere in North America. Please send me a pm and I can ship one to you ASAP.
What board house did you go with?

Would this board also work for a Strangebrew Elsinore setup or is it CraftBeerPi specific?

Should work with everything what uses Raspberry and GPIOs to control stuff. I have next gen board already almost ready with some stuff added so you can wait a bit for that.

The actual reading of the thermometers is done in w1_thermometer.py
https://github.com/Manuel83/craftbe...d8/brewapp/base/thermometer/w1_thermometer.py

Or w1_thermometer2.py
https://github.com/Manuel83/craftbe...8/brewapp/base/thermometer/w1_thermometer2.py

So, it's read live and direct from the w1_slave file.

good news is that it makes it very simple to mimic a sensor. The bad news is that changing its location in the scripts to another location locks it into that location without rewriting changes to the python script.

Going to have to rethink this one for a while. maybe I can do a symbolic link to a mount directory where I can have a hybrid of sensors listed. Will have to do some testing with this to figure out if it works or not.

I just got my RasberryPi in and I've been enjoying working and playing with CraftBeerPi.

A couple quick questions that I have with the software.

• How can I import BeerXML using imperial units and not metric? Is it possible as of now or will that be coming out in later rev's.
  • Will there be any on board keyboard functionality when adjusting values when using the 7" touch screen that the raspberry pi group offers. It would be really handy to have a small keypad come up in entering in a manual value.
  • When using a RIMS system, is it possibly to control both of the heater/pump at the same time? Or will I need to manually engage the pump during the steps?

Best way to solder on the 12/5V MP1584 module to the terragady boards?

What are people using to switch their pumps? Cheaper way to go than SSRs used for the elements?

I'm using these relays for them as well. You can go on ebay and find a 4 relay board that has jumper pins and transistor switches to isolate your RPi pins for like 5 bucks.

Here is a link to one of a million listings out there. a 4 relay board would work well for most applications. if you wanted to use these as contactors for your SSR's they work well for that too.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/5V-1-2-4-8-...hash=item1a1cb0a89e:m:mpveOeiSGH17dxoGlwUaEog

I'm using these relays for them as well. You can go on ebay and find a 4 relay board that has jumper pins and transistor switches to isolate your RPi pins for like 5 bucks.

Here is a link to one of a million listings out there. a 4 relay board would work well for most applications. if you wanted to use these as contactors for your SSR's they work well for that too.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/5V-1-2-4-8-...hash=item1a1cb0a89e:m:mpveOeiSGH17dxoGlwUaEog

If you have a board with transistors there is no need for additional board with ... transistors :) Just a plain relay is fine and even better. If you are using just RPi to connect directly then board like yours is fine.

Hey everyone! Does anyone use the cheap relay boards with a Terragady? I would need a LOW output from the GPIO instead of 12v, and I am trying to find a solution here.

This specific relay board is designed for 12v but I forgot it needed the LOW input to trigger the relay vs the HIGH input. Ideas?

Thanks,
Kory

Hey everyone! Does anyone use the cheap relay boards with a Terragady? I would need a LOW output from the GPIO instead of 12v, and I am trying to find a solution here.

This specific relay board is designed for 12v but I forgot it needed the LOW input to trigger the relay vs the HIGH input. Ideas?

Thanks,
Kory

CraftBeerPi recently added an option to invert the outputs. I don't use this software, but there should be a configuration option for this somewhere easy to find.

I'd like to use 1/2" NPT temp probes that disconnect at the kettle (for cleaning) and disconnect at the panel. The Brewpi or Aubrey probes seem to fit this description the best but I am lost on the panel mounting part. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

I'd like to use 1/2" NPT temp probes that disconnect at the kettle (for cleaning) and disconnect at the panel. The Brewpi or Aubrey probes seem to fit this description the best but I am lost on the panel mounting part. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

i've used 3.5 mm audio jacks and mini xlr. I have those probes and really like that they unplug at the kettles.

good news is that it makes it very simple to mimic a sensor. The bad news is that changing its location in the scripts to another location locks it into that location without rewriting changes to the python script.

Going to have to rethink this one for a while. maybe I can do a symbolic link to a mount directory where I can have a hybrid of sensors listed. Will have to do some testing with this to figure out if it works or not.

Not sure if this will be helpful, but I found this on the GitHub page that references implementing a custom thermometer:
https://github.com/Manuel83/craftbeerpi/tree/dev2.2#implementing-a-custom-thermometer-protocol

• How can I import BeerXML using imperial units and not metric? Is it possible as of now or will that be coming out in later rev's.

I added a pull request to fix this and it looks like it was merged over: https://github.com/Manuel83/craftbeerpi/commit/eef2ffa05580e237ba122c2c515046e00f9bab2e If your system units are set to F, the mash step temps will be treated as Fahrenheit, and the boil temp will be 210F (previously, it was using 99C).

You should be able to update with 'git pull' and reimport your BeerXML. If there's any other issues or any other spots that Fahrenheit doesn't work right, I can try to fix them as well.

Aubrey probes?

Not sure if this will be helpful, but I found this on the GitHub page that references implementing a custom thermometer:
https://github.com/Manuel83/craftbeerpi/tree/dev2.2#implementing-a-custom-thermometer-protocol

No Joke I was JUST looking at this last night.

Originally I was going to write some custom scripts that would mount the one wire device folders into a custom folder and then point the cbpi python files to look there instead. This may be a much cleaner way to do it. Once i get something working i'll post what I do and maybe someone can build on it in a different way if they need.

Honestly just dropping in a list of the locations of the web files in this custom module is going to save me a lot of time and headache. Appreciate it.

I added a pull request to fix this and it looks like it was merged over: https://github.com/Manuel83/craftbeerpi/commit/eef2ffa05580e237ba122c2c515046e00f9bab2e If your system units are set to F, the mash step temps will be treated as Fahrenheit, and the boil temp will be 210F (previously, it was using 99C).

You should be able to update with 'git pull' and reimport your BeerXML. If there's any other issues or any other spots that Fahrenheit doesn't work right, I can try to fix them as well.

Does the beerxml import feature, import the desired strike temperature and the mash steps or just the mash steps? How do most people import the beerXML into the raspberry pi? PC?

I need to pickup some of the bare DS18B20 sensors. Like anything else, I doubt they are all created equal. Are there brands/vendors I should stick with or are they all about the same?

Here is an example from amazon: DS18B20

... but I can't tell if these are cr*p or will do just fine.

Last edited by a moderator:
Just to ask as this is not really clear to me.
ArdBir (Brauduino) uses a PWM signal to control heating element, so it can control power of heating element for if is close to desired temeperature it is just lowering a heating element power? So grain does not burn etc.
CraftBeer is not using PWM so there is only full on and full off?

Which system is better in terms of controlling temp?

Latest posts

Back