Craft brews in Italy?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mcbaumannerb

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I'm going on vacation to Italy (leave this weekend, 6/14 and return 6/26) and am open to any advice/suggestions on craft brews worth trying in Rome, Florence and/or Venice. Also any insights on bottle shops that might have European stuff that is tough to get in the US would be helpful (I'm mainly thinking Belgian stuff here :) )

Thanks!

I was over there a couple of years ago....I tried some of the beers and they sucked. I'm not sure of the names, but they were Italian. We stayed in the Tuscany region and I'm not sure if they know what beer is in that area:) At any rate, just drink the wine. I'm by no means a huge wino, but it was pretty damn good! It was a good trip, but the first thing I did when I landed back in the US was got a cheeseburger, an order of wings and a cold beer! If I can offer you any advice....I would get the tour guides when you go through a lot of the sites. Also, Pompei is pretty cool. If you get a chance to take the Eurostar to Florence, do it....it's pretty cool. Also, don't let people load your bags, etc when you are in Termini as they will think they need an outrageous tip. Have fun!

I had a similar experience with jstofer when I was over there (lived there about a month). None of the Italian beers I had were anything impressive, all just light lagers reminiscent of the macro-swill we have here. If I wanted a good beer, I had to buy a German-import.

Wish I could give you a good recommendation, but I have to second jstofer's suggestion of "just drink the wine". It's really good, plentiful, and cheap.

If you do find any decent beers there, though, be sure to let us know. ;)

Loverbeer and toccalmatto are two craft beer breweries in italy. Don't know if they are located Where you are going thou

There were not many places selling craft beer around Firenze a while ago, but I think that is changing. I have heard about Archea and (BHC) Beer House Club.
As the others said before, try the wine. There are a lot of Enotecas where you can get good bottles of wine for a decent price.

But the most important thing, whatever you do, have fun and enjoy!

Back