Craft beer: honeymoon period over?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't see bomber fatigue at all in my area. Most breweries have to fall back on that format for many reasons.

Bomber Fatigue exists everywhere, because more and more crappy beer is being brewed everywhere.

When they meet demand in one state then they expand to another, mediocre quality or not.

Where a beer is sold is based upon availability (production volume) and the distributor used. Not just clean cut supply and demand.

OK, I'll stick up for them...yes, Pipeworks does make some great beer. Not everything thing they make is a world classic but to say nothing they make is good is a bit silly.

I really enjoyed Ninja vs. Unicorn from Pipeworks, and Coffee Break Abduction was good. Other offerings I've had from them have been mediocre (End of Days, Last Kiss, Cherry Truffle Abduction).

I really enjoyed Ninja vs. Unicorn from Pipeworks, and Coffee Break Abduction was good. Other offerings I've had from them have been mediocre (End of Days, Last Kiss, Cherry Truffle Abduction).
I agree - and also with Hopping Tiger - and it's that inconsistency that's so maddening. You rarely see them on tap and they have no store where you can at least try a 2oz. sample first. I picked up (and enjoyed) several bottles of the most recent Citra Ninja and the last BA Jones Dog was super tasty. But then there was the Easter Bunny v. Unicorn - a super hoppy wheat wine - that was just a sludgy, syrupy mess. I'm no gambler and I don't see myself trying new stuff from them any time soon.

I agree - and also with Hopping Tiger - and it's that inconsistency that's so maddening. You rarely see them on tap and they have no store where you can at least try a 2oz. sample first. I picked up (and enjoyed) several bottles of the most recent Citra Ninja and the last BA Jones Dog was super tasty. But then there was the Easter Bunny v. Unicorn - a super hoppy wheat wine - that was just a sludgy, syrupy mess. I'm no gambler and I don't see myself trying new stuff from them any time soon.
Don't worry the bottle shop is coming soon. They signed a lease a year ago. Everyone knows it takes at least a year to get the previous tenant out. Can't wait to use my 50% off coupon. :rolleyes:

Pipeworks also gets some major negative points for having pdubs.net as their web address.

Don't worry the bottle shop is coming soon. They signed a lease a year ago. Everyone knows it takes at least a year to get the previous tenant out. Can't wait to use my 50% off coupon. :rolleyes:
My problems exactly as well! The year+ long promises of a tasting room and no regular kegs being tapped around the city or burbs. And yeah, Lagunitas has made promises and had long ass delays, but look at the damn size of that place!

Bomber Fatigue exists everywhere, because more and more crappy beer is being brewed everywhere.

Based on what evidence? That's such an insanely exaggerated statement. I sometimes see regular Stone bombers sit on shelves and new mediocre stuff fly off the shelves. But I really don't see the market getting tired of bombers yet because the craft market is still expanding and new-comers are buying this stuff in my area.

I think beer geeks on these websites are tired of shelf bombers. But they'll stand in line for 3 hours and pay top dollar to get the latest and greatest BA stout...in a bomber.

All the IPAs I've had from them have been great (except Centennial Ninja). Haven't tried Citra Ninja yet but I have one coming in a trade soon. But everything else had been so overrated and mediocre, especially their thin ass, adjunct laden stouts. And they seem to make too many beers overall. Just focus on a few of your best and crank those out.

Based on what evidence? That's such an insanely exaggerated statement. I sometimes see regular Stone bombers sit on shelves and new mediocre stuff fly off the shelves. But I really don't see the market getting tired of bombers yet because the craft market is still expanding and new-comers are buying this stuff in my area.

I think beer geeks on these websites are tired of shelf bombers. But they'll stand in line for 3 hours and pay top dollar to get the latest and greatest BA stout...in a bomber.

I have sales data that backs it up. YMMV market to market.

I have sales data that backs it up. YMMV market to market.
Meanwhile, wine and spirits sales are blowing through the roof. What is bomber sales data proving? People are sick of bombers or just bored with beer altogether? It could be a mix of both.

I just know in Boston there are lots of breweries bottling exclusively in 750ml/22oz bottles while having no problem selling the stuff. The quality is also rising very rapidly compared to 3 years ago. Boston was a wasteland for good local beer.

Meanwhile, wine and spirits sales are blowing through the roof. What is bomber sales data proving? People are sick of bombers or just bored with beer altogether? It could be a mix of both.

I just know in Boston there are lots of breweries bottling exclusively in 750ml/22oz bottles while having no problem selling the stuff. The quality is also rising very rapidly compared to 3 years ago. Boston was a wasteland for good local beer.
But is it at retail? Or brewery-only sales? There's no fatigue for the latter.

I just know in Boston there are lots of breweries bottling exclusively in 750ml/22oz bottles while having no problem selling the stuff.

That's the problem - if something is only available in bombers, of course it's going to sell.

Now if a beer is available both in bombers and 12 oz containers, you'd likely see more of the latter sell. Sculpin is a great example of this - an employee at BP told me they're more likely to sell a six pack of Sculpin than bombers, and they've been really successful with cans this year.

I want to see more breweries adopt the smaller format bottles - sometimes it's hard to put away a 750 of Black Tuesday and a 375 would be more appropriate. Goose Island does this well with BCBS and variants - keep the large format for special releases and move to small format for the "regular" stuff.

That's the problem - if something is only available in bombers, of course it's going to sell.

Now if a beer is available both in bombers and 12 oz containers, you'd likely see more of the latter sell. Sculpin is a great example of this - an employee at BP told me they're more likely to sell a six pack of Sculpin than bombers, and they've been really successful with cans this year.

I want to see more breweries adopt the smaller format bottles - sometimes it's hard to put away a 750 of Black Tuesday and a 375 would be more appropriate. Goose Island does this well with BCBS and variants - keep the large format for special releases and move to small format for the "regular" stuff.
Yeah those $15 6 packs really are a great deal. Around here they sat around so long at Bevmo that Bevmo stopped carrying all BP stuff since it always stayed on shelves long past the best buy date. BP has been brought back since, but it was rather funny.

Yeah those $15 6 packs really are a great deal. Around here they sat around so long at Bevmo that Bevmo stopped carrying all BP stuff since it always stayed on shelves long past the best buy date. BP has been brought back since, but it was rather funny.

I still wonder what Knee Deep does with all their inventory. Given that 80% of their beers are hoppy IPA's or Pale Ales, the amount of dusty or 4+ month old bottles I see almost everywhere is disturbing. Are they buying the product back, or are they trying to sell it? I always look at the stores I go to and see how old they are, 3 out of 4 times I look the bottles are way too old to be good.

That's really just a common sense purchase. I find it ridiculous that any brewery would support both formats for one beer.

If bomber fatigue exists I should be seeing it hitting breweries like Pretty Things or Berkshire who make good beer but nothing outstanding. I wouldn't buy it over a cheap 6-pack from Sierra Nevada. Yet they continue to do well.

Yes, I'm burnt out on bombers and don't see a positive value but I don't think I'm part of the majority in the market.

I mean, this is exactly it. No one cares. If you make good beer people will buy it. Look at Goose Island, that ABI buyout got so much panties bunched, but in the end BCBS still sold out everywhere immediately. ****, I'm drinking one right now and it's amazing. It doesn't matter how big the brewer is, if they can be big and make good beer then more people can drink good beer!
I wish so much this post was delivered in spoken video format from Ricky from Trailer Park Boys

Back