Cracked open my first bottle of homebrew...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

year2beer

Reaction score
Well, It's thanksgiving--and I just couldn't wait any longer, LMAO!

I made the midwest milk stout extract kit... looking for a flavorful dessert beer.

I just opened a PERFECTLY CARBONATED Bottle... to find a very bitter beer. It is pretty clear for a stout, and starts off w/ a dairy-like aroma, hits the pallet with a TON of bitterness--and finishes malty and sweet.

The malt keeps coming back to the pallet--somewhat chocolate milkish???

It makes me want to keep drinking it, but I wish the bitterness would smooth out a bit...

I brewed 3 weeks ago-- 2 weeks in primary, 1 week in bottles so far.

OG: 1.0625
FG: 1.020

I FIGURE: Young beer :eek:

So, I'll continue to be patient. I left 2 gallons in primary for an additional week, I'll bottle that tomorrow... but after taking the gravity and tasting it today--I'm getting the same flavor profiles???

Give at least two more weeks in the bottle at room temp and then 2-6 days in the fridge and it should mellow nicely.

Sometimes it can be good to taste young beer, because then after it ages you know what the beer can really taste like. LOL

It may take a little longer than usual to get the beer conditioned properly. My whiskely ale,made with a dark ale kit I modded soaked with oak & bourbon took 9 weeks & 6 days to condition well. Then 2 weeks in the fridge for nice head & carbonation.

I am surprised it is PERFECTLY CARBONATED after just one week in the bottle. Give it another week and try it again. There is a good post on here about bottle conditioning. Search for it. The bitterness will most likely go away with time. Happy Thanksgiving.

The bitterness will mellow quite noticeably giving it 3 weeks in the bottle. I kid you not almost all of my beers from Belgian Wit's to Amber Ales to Hefeweizen's to - you get the point - always taste a bit too bitter even two weeks in the bottle. I don't know what occurs but once they hit the magical 3 week in the bottle number everything has balanced out perfectly. It's eerie really because I've seen this repeatedly over many batches and all have been perfect at the 3 week line.

I've had hefe's I tried at 2 weeks anxiously and thought, "Hmm, I probably should use less hops next time, tastes a bit too bitter". But when I try one again a week later it's perfect and each time I've left the recipe alone cause it came out great.

Give it more time.

Rev.

Back