Crabapples

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DaMonkey

Reaction score
I found some crabapples and want to know anyone's experience on using crabapples with other apples in a cider pressing.

How does it change the flavor?

In what ratio/percent of apples do you use them in a normal batch of cider?

Any info/experience is appreciated.

Crab apples are normally used in cider to add tannin/bitterness and body. They don't usually have a lot of flavour apart from the tannin but will improve most cider. it is hard to generalise because there are so many different crabs, usually the smaller the fruit the more bitter they are. I normally use between 10% and 50% but have used 100%, the cider is nice if a bit grippy. Try tasting the crabs to see how bitter they are, the tannins will give you that towel mouth feeling. Most crabs will stay on the tree well so you can let them get nice and ripe, test the sugar with a refractometer. They will usually be high in sugar and acid.

I make a fantastic 100% crabapple wine. The mix is about 50% rescue (like dolgos) and 50% centennial crabs. I tend to use 6 pounds per gallon, crushed and then pressed (or squeezed) and dilute with a bit of sugar water to lower the bitterness and acidity.

I add crabapples to fresh pressed cider to provide some tannin and the "bittersharp" flavor missing in many apples.

Crab apples make AWESOME cider!

Aengus_Wickson_Crab.jpg

Crab apples are normally used in cider to add tannin/bitterness and body. They don't usually have a lot of flavour apart from the tannin but will improve most cider. it is hard to generalise because there are so many different crabs, usually the smaller the fruit the more bitter they are. I normally use between 10% and 50% but have used 100%, the cider is nice if a bit grippy. Try tasting the crabs to see how bitter they are, the tannins will give you that towel mouth feeling. Most crabs will stay on the tree well so you can let them get nice and ripe, test the sugar with a refractometer. They will usually be high in sugar and acid.

They are all larger and are bitter with the towel mouth feel and then I found some that are just sweet.

Is there any way to identify them? I found them at a park I go to lol.

They taste a lot more bitter on the tree than they do as juice or cider. The really bitter crabs or a cider apple like tremlett's bitter will taste really horrible if you bite into them and it is difficult to get the flavour out of your mouth. That sort is too bitter too use 100% and has to be blended with other apples. Most crabs aren't that bad and some aren't bitter at all. Identifying crabs can be hard unless they are a common tree, there are lots of different ones and some will be just seedlings without a cultivar name.

I make a fantastic 100% crabapple wine. The mix is about 50% rescue (like dolgos) and 50% centennial crabs. I tend to use 6 pounds per gallon, crushed and then pressed (or squeezed) and dilute with a bit of sugar water to lower the bitterness and acidity.

I add crabapples to fresh pressed cider to provide some tannin and the "bittersharp" flavor missing in many apples.

I made a test batch of cider from a tree of unknown variety that I "think" was a Rescue. It just happened to be the best single varietal cider I've ever made. A year in and it's tasting better than ever. Too bad the apples were all gone when I went back to the tree this fall.

Back