CPVC - where to get it?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kulprit

Reaction score
So I got my cooler to make my MLT last weekend. Today I asked at my plumbing supply store that we use for work and when I asked for both CPVC and weldless fittings they looked at me funny.

Now I could have just gotten a bad service person, but they are normally very good with their stock.

Does Home Depot or Lowes carry CPVC pile and fittings?

it'll be the one at home depot or lowes that has the yellowish tint to it. Compared to regular PVC that is.

Yeah the guy at the supply store knew about CPVC and told me about the tint - they just didn't have it in that small a size (smallest was 2" for pools and spa's)

Thanks guys - will be tackling this project as well as the hop bag collar this weekend

ahaha get used to the funny lookes because if you have a project that doesnt include the use of a sprinckler system they have no idea. i always get the dumb look like your really going to do what??

I hate asking for help on brewing projects in hardware stores. When you are looking for stuff, it's never for its' original or intended purpose, so the guys are like, "you're doing what with that?"

Especially for anything involving pipes... Might as well be wearing a turban, all hardware store guys think I'm making bombs or something.

No luck today at my Home Depot.

They seemed swamped (we are getting this Tropical Storm later today) so maybe I got a bad guy to ask, so I will probably try again.

Other then that I have to try Lowes. I would rather work with this PVC then copper as I imagine it's got to be a lot easier and cheaper to use right?

Straight sections of copper tubing and fittings/elbows in the amounts you need won't be that expensive.

There are just different building codes in every state. You also can't use Romex in NY, you need BX armor shielded stuff but I also hear that DRYWALL is an acceptable exterior sheathing there too. Weird.

Question to the OP... Are you looking to fly sparge in this cooler? If not, use a stainless braid for $4. Go to the plumbing section and get a sink supply line anywhere between 12-18 inches. Cut the ends off and slip the inner tube out. Make sure the exterior is metal and not plastic.

Wow! Why is illegal there?

it supposedly gives off hazardous fumes if you burn it. If your house burns down and you're using cpvc, then the toxic fumes from the cpvc will kill you faster than the fire/heat. I'm not sure if its legal in Ohio still or not. I'll have to check the next time I'm at Blows or Home Despot.

There are just different building codes in every state. You also can't use Romex in NY, you need BX armor shielded stuff but I also hear that DRYWALL is an acceptable exterior sheathing there too. Weird.

Question to the OP... Are you looking to fly sparge in this cooler? If not, use a stainless braid for $4. Go to the plumbing section and get a sink supply line anywhere between 12-18 inches. Cut the ends off and slip the inner tube out. Make sure the exterior is metal and not plastic.

I am looking to batch sparge. I have seen the standless braid used and that's a consideration (actually I think it was one of your pictures).

Initially the thought was that using the PVC would be much easier to take apart and clean. Plus I have a pretty good familiarity with PVC using it a lot for work so that's probably why I leaned that way.

I am gonna have to sit down and look at both the stainless braid and the copper options and see which will be easiest for me.

Cpvc is illegal to sell and use here in NYC. you might be up against the same battle.

B

I live out on Long Island - so I wouldn't be suprised if it was the same situation.

Interesting. It seemed like they had some but in larger sizes for pool/spa use - so maybe it's only ok for outside installations? Have to ask around just out of curiosity.

You really don't have to take the braid apart to clean. Just spray it with the hose and shoot some water back the opposite way. I used mine for 18 batches without taking it apart.

Back