CPVC Manifold Issues

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Boardndave

Reaction score
I'm in the process of building a CPVC manifold for my new Mash Tun Cooler. I've got the entire structure assembled and I am pretty happy with it, however, I still need to cut all of the slots into the CPVC to allow the wort to drain. My problem is that the tubing creates a lot of shavings that are loosely attached to the areas where the cuts were made. Is there an easier way to cut CPVC in order to prevent all of these shavings from occurring, or is there an easy way to clear them off after the cuts are made?

Thanks in advance!

I would think some sort of wire wheel would easily remove them. Otherwise I wonder if a hot-knife would work for the slits? Anyone?

Use a pvc cutter. It should have a jaw with one cutting edge that you ratchet closed by gripping the handles together. This should provide a clean cut, just be sure to go slow so that you can release the ratchet when the blade has cut as deep as you want.

Use a pvc cutter. It should have a jaw with one cutting edge that you ratchet closed by gripping the handles together. This should provide a clean cut, just be sure to go slow so that you can release the ratchet when the blade has cut as deep as you want.

Where is the face palm smilie. I used my pvc cutter to assemble the sections and then got out the hacksaw for the slits. I think ill be redoing mine tonight for sans shavings.

I used a cut off wheel. It more or less melted the holes. Not much debris. You could try running your bottle brush through them after your done. I didnt really pay it much attention. Cheers SW

I used a band saw to cut the slits in mine then held the pieces upto the spray nozzle on my hose to blast out all the loose stuff. If you have a pressure washer and really wanted to be anal about it you could use that to.

Slide the pieces onto a wooden dowel rod the same size as the interior of the pipe. I think I still had to clean up the cuts with a utility knife, but it wasn't too bad.

I just built mine (twice) with a hacksaw. I wrapped some light (220 I think) grit sandpaper around a folded index card, and sanded each slot. Then I took a pencil wrapped in sandpaper to get the inside. Then a utility knife to shave out each slot, and then repeat the sanding on both sides.

It sounds much more tedious than it was (depending on how many slots you cut). Obviously if you have a better tool than a hacksaw, use it.

I started with a hacksaw then got out the cordless jig cause I lack patience. Like others sand in and out to clean up the burs.

Back