Couple Questions, Manifold Related

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

huge1s

Reaction score
I was building my copper manifold last night for my new mash tun and got to thinking....

03dc609b.jpg

1) Do you have to worry about infections when doing the mash? Reason I ask is that the copper has some scratches and crevases where nasties could possibly live. I plan on cleaning and sanitizing every time and would assume that the boil would kill anything that got into the mash, so correct me if I am wrong in thinking that cleaning and sanitizing will be enough.

2) To sauder or not to sauder. Even if I sauder the pieces together, I will not sauder the long pieces so that I can take it (mostly) apart. Any preferences?

C) Would those plastic cutting boards work for taking up dead space below the manifold?

1) i just clean with soap and water - no need to worry about nasties since it will be boiled
2) i don't sauder because it helps to be able to take it apart to clean out any grain that slips inside
3) i don't use a cutting board - i just tilt the mash tun to get any leftover wort out... i've never had a problem with not having enough due to deadspace (just make sure you compensate your water volumes)

In addition to what beerloin suggested, I give each of the fittings a pinch to make them a little oval, so the copper pipe pieces are a solid press fit into them when assembling. This way they will come apart for cleaning but not during mash stirring. Guess how I figured that out....

In addition to what beerloin suggested, I give each of the fittings a pinch to make them a little oval, so the copper pipe pieces are a solid press fit into them when assembling. This way they will come apart for cleaning but not during mash stirring. Guess how I figured that out....

that's not a bad idea... i have some pieces that stick firmly and others that will come apart pretty easily. That is why i was leaning towards saudering the structures on either end of the long pieces.

by the way... someone should do a study on how much time and money is saved by forums like these. I am doing my first AG batch this weekend and definately feel like I am NOT starting from scratch.

by the way... someone should do a study on how much time and money is saved by forums like these. I am doing my first AG batch this weekend and definately feel like I am NOT starting from scratch.

Not sure about time and money, but there's definitely an irrefutable value on the amount of emotional distress saved by the HBT re-assuring pantheon

Lookin' at you, Revvy.

We all look forward to reading the results of your study.

i dont mean to be a ******, and i let most spelling and gramatical errors slide, but its spelled 'solder'.

jmf143 said:
We all look forward to reading the results of your study.

If I had time... I would

i dont mean to be a ******, and i let most spelling and gramatical errors slide, but its spelled 'solder'.

I think you did mean to be ****** :) I should know better too... worked in construction for a long time.

I have access to a machine shop at work, so took my long pieces and cut my slits on the band saw and de-burred on the wire wheel.

Back