Couple of temperature questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

atromic

Reaction score
When is the ideal time to boost up the temperature of fermentation to get those last few SG points down?

I have a 12 day old 1.067 porter, and a 4 day old 1.059 pale ale, but only 1 water bath so I need to boost up the temperature on both at the same time. I checked the porter yesterday, and it has only gone down to 1.030... It is definitely still fermenting (slow airlock activity), but I want to make sure I dont miss the boat on hitting my target. I've had attenuation issues in the past, and this was an expensive brew so I don't want to have it turn out too sweet/weak.

Also, once fermentation is complete what temperature should I let the beer age at? I have an apfelwein that I want to boost up to 72, which means both my beers would have to sit in my 60 deg apartment to age.

I've heard from the Jamil Show that you want to boost the temperature before your krausen collapses. I can't recall the show or whether this was for only a particular beer or style, but I'm assuming it applies to any beer you're trying to get to attenuate really well (dry). On that show, Jamil said that if you try to bump up the temp after the krausen has already fallen, it's too late. Again, I'm not sure if that was only for that beer, but I'm assuming it would be for any beer if you're wanting it to attenuate out as much as possible.

Hmmm, that goes against what I've heard from the LHBS, and on here. Can anyone else comment on this?

Also, how about temperature for bulk aging? Will I get the same benefits from aging my porter at 60 as I would at 68 as long as I wait until fermentation has completely stopped?

Back