Counterflow chiller

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KIRBREW

Reaction score
So I'm planning on buying a new chiller pretty soon. Austin Homebrew has this on sale for a good price. I was wondering your experiences with this chiller. http://www.austinhomebrew.com/Psycho-Chiller-Counter-Flow-Wort-Chiller.html
I own a homemade 20 ft counterflow chiller that worked great until the line got kinked. My main concern is since this is a shorter chiller how much will the efficiency suffer.

What size was your inner tube? This one is 5/8" OD convoluted. I'm guessing the convoluted tube will increase the surface area by about 50%, plus the ripples cause turbulence, which increases the efficiency.
I have no experience with this chiller, but coming from a plate chiller, I can recommend counter flow chillers for their lack of clogging (as you probably already know).

Mine was a 3/8 od tube. It was fairly thin wall, so the heat transfer was fairly effective. I wondered how thick the convoluted was... I guess I'll find out soon, I went ahead and ordered it as a Christmas gift for myself. Cheers!

I have a chillzilla, which is the same. Works great. Can chill from boil to 70 in a single pass, just adjust the flow. Highly recommend it

http://www.austinhomebrew.com/Psycho-Chiller-Counter-Flow-Wort-Chiller.html
I own a homemade 20 ft counterflow chiller that worked great until the line got kinked. My main concern is since this is a shorter chiller how much will the efficiency suffer.

I have the same chiller sold by morebeer.... and I paid more money.
But I love it, it drops temps down from boil to 170 fast , then I transfer direct to my carboy and its gets it to ~75.
Granted I have cold ground water, 55 deg

Great! Thanks for the replys. It should be here on the 27th. I'll let you know how it works out. It was too good of deal to pass on.

Back