Counterflow Chiller

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
20' of 3/8" coiled copper
20' of garden hose
With a few fittings and copper pipe - sweat!
Under $50

NO LEAKS :)
Just need to see how quick it cools down 30 gallons :)

image-1757418177.jpg

Looks great! Did you drill the 1/2 inch caps for the 3/8 tubing to pass through? Also, was the garden hose the light duty type?

I followed the wiki:
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/wiki/index.php/How_to_make_a_Counter_Flow_Chiller

The hose was a $7.99 rembrandt from a farm and fleet store, we will see how long it lasts:-/

(1) 12" x 1/2" copper pipe
(2) 1/2" copper TEEs
(2) 1/2" x 1/4" copper reducers ( you must drill out the stops inside the reducer fittings with a 3/8" drill bit)
(1) 20' x 3/8" OD soft copper tubing
(1) 20' x 5/8" ID rembrandt. (we will see how cheap works for me:-/ ) if it needs replaced its not to much to replace!
(4) hose clamps.

Thank you wiki!!

I know this is confusing but stick with me. The "1/2 inch" in the designation is fitted for 1/2" nominal tubing which is 5/8" actual OD. The "1/4 inch" designation is for 1/4" nominal tubing which is 3/8" actual OD. The tubing we buy for this is refrigeration tubing and it doesn't get measured in "nominal ID" but rather actual OD.

Long story short, 3/8" OD refrigeration tubing fits inside a 1/4" fitting. If you buy a fitting that says 3/8", it will fit 1/2" OD refrig. tubing.

If this nominal vs actual thing makes your head spin, lop off a piece of your tubing and bring it to Lowes with you.

Bobby_M said:
I know this is confusing but stick with me. The "1/2 inch" in the designation is fitted for 1/2" nominal tubing which is 5/8" actual OD. The "1/4 inch" designation is for 1/4" nominal tubing which is 3/8" actual OD. The tubing we buy for this is refrigeration tubing and it doesn't get measured in "nominal ID" but rather actual OD.

Long story short, 3/8" OD refrigeration tubing fits inside a 1/4" fitting. If you buy a fitting that says 3/8", it will fit 1/2" OD refrig. tubing.

If this nominal vs actual thing makes your head spin, lop off a piece of your tubing and bring it to Lowes with you.

Or just buy the stuff in your wiki :)
Yes Lowe's is where I bought the fittings and the coiled copper. They only had 20' coiled soft copper, was hope'n for 25'. Saved a ton of $$$ building it myself:)

I am currently trying to figure out exactly what I need/want for a first time set up. These counter flow chillers seem to be the way to go for easy cooling while gravity draining. I haven't been to the local HD to check on what they have in stock but online it seems like the tubes are sold in 20' or 50' lengths. With outside hose water ranging well below 80 in the summer how long should I build the counter flow? Obviously the longer the better but is it necessary to have 45' of counter flow to chill a 10gal boil? With 50' of each I am looking at around $90 for everything and 20' should be around $50. I plan on doing 5gal batches at first to learn then going to 10gal batches in the near future so I don't want to by something that isn't going to be used later on. I guess the main question would be what is the ideal length without over killing it, or should I just go with 50' immersion and not worry about it?

Tzarmek said:
I am currently trying to figure out exactly what I need/want for a first time set up. These counter flow chillers seem to be the way to go for easy cooling while gravity draining. I haven't been to the local HD to check on what they have in stock but online it seems like the tubes are sold in 20' or 50' lengths. With outside hose water ranging well below 80 in the summer how long should I build the counter flow? Obviously the longer the better but is it necessary to have 45' of counter flow to chill a 10gal boil? With 50' of each I am looking at around $90 for everything and 20' should be around $50. I plan on doing 5gal batches at first to learn then going to 10gal batches in the near future so I don't want to by something that isn't going to be used later on. I guess the main question would be what is the ideal length without over killing it, or should I just go with 50' immersion and not worry about it?

Wish I would've seen this earlier before I started another thread on the same problem!

Sears Hardware is the place to shop for the 25' rubber hose.

http://www.sears.com/craftsman-5-8-in-x-25-ft-heavy-duty-hose/p-07169601000P

I want a 50' cause I was gonna split it with someone or sell it on classifieds. I was wondering on that specific hose because of 2 things. 1 I get 10% disc at HD and 2. The inner rings could put me into turbulent flow without having to wrap and solder coil around my copper. My question is whether I could ever run 25' of copper through there.

I built mine on Saturday. Here's a pic of the initial test. No leaks and a great flow rate with just gravity! Now I just need to test it to see how well it actually cools boiling water!

Counter-flow-chiller-Small.jpg

Just tested on a 30 gallon batch of Biermuncher's Cream of Three Crops!
In temp: boiling
Out temp: 62-65F
Very pleased with it!!
In fact so pleased may sell the huge immersion chiller I have:)

Latest posts

Back