Counter-acting sweetness

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RCBIV

Reaction score
I've brewed four pale ales/IPAs/DIPAs and my concern at this point is that they're all coming out too sweet. All the recipes are a tad different, with 2 row as the base with a little crystal, or with a little crystal and munich.

Here's my 2.5 gallon DIPA recipe that I just brewed. Not as sweet as the rest, but still sweet:

Amt Name Type # %/IBU
6 lbs Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain 1 77.4 %
1 lbs Munich Malt - 20L (20.0 SRM) Grain 2 12.9 %
4.0 oz Caramel/Crystal Malt - 40L (40.0 SRM) Grain 3 3.2 %
8.0 oz Corn Sugar (Dextrose) (0.0 SRM) Sugar 4 6.5 %

I'm thinking of just mixing up the grain bill big time because I want something more dry, less sweet. But at the same time, I need to fully understand how to drop the sweetness level.

More corn sugar? Less crystal? Lower crystal? Is the 2-row a possible culprit?

Thanks in advance, everyone.

My DIPA was solely Falconer's Flight, while I had a pale with all Motueka. My other pales and IPAs had Citra, Summit, Amarillo, Simcoe, among others.

I don't think it's the hops, but I could be wrong. I think it's a malt sweetness that I am getting.

My DIPA was solely Falconer's Flight, while I had a pale with all Motueka. My other pales and IPAs had Citra, Summit, Amarillo, Simcoe, among others.

I don't think it's the hops, but I could be wrong. I think it's a malt sweetness that I am getting.

He wasn't pointing to hops as the cause, he was suggesting that you use more hops to counteract the sweetness.

Malty and sweet are two different things.

"Sweet" is balanced with hops. It's that simple: just add more bittering hops.

I guess that will be the goal for the next one. Non of the brews were intended to be overly bitter, but I also didn't think the IBUs were too low, either.

I think I'm going to brew an IPA this week. I'll get a good bittering hop and make sure the 60 minute addition is enough.

Thanks, guys.

Back