Could my moronic oversight cause this?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GLWIII

Reaction score
On Friday I decided to do a small 3 gallon batch of DFH 90. Recipe calls for 13.75 quarts for mash in. Stupid me grabs the wrong measuring cup (1/2 qt. instead of 1 qt.) and proceeds to put in 13.75 - 1/2 quarts. i.e. Half of what was required. I didn't even realize this until I started collecting my runnings and only came up with one gallon. After my initial "WTF is going on" moment I then had my "d'oh" moment and realized the error. I went on and sparged with extra water trying to minimize the damage and got to my proper boil amount. Incredibly, I barely missed my target (got 1.088 when going for 1.090).

Alright, the embarrassing details out of the way, I pitched (S-04) and by the next morning fermentation was going full tilt. Fast forward to today, three days later, all activity has ceased and the gravity is 1.016 for about a 81% attenuation - if my math is correct. Is it possible for this to have fermented out in only three days? Or, has my cluster**** of a brew day done caused all sorts of havoc?

Or, has my cluster**** of a brew day done caused all sorts of havoc?

I prefer a thick mash anyhow, closer to 1 qt/lb. As long as all the starch converts I don't think it matters all that much.

Sounds like you hit your OG just fine, which would be all I worried about there.

Personally if I hit that OG and that FG after 3 days I would be self hi fiving.

Back