Could I use this to make a mash tun??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dangloverenator

Reaction score
Hey everyone.

I've been extract brewing for a while now, looking to take the next step at some point in the future. However, I'm a student on a budget! I've seen lots of articles on converting Rubbermaid/Coleman coolers into mash tuns, and I saw this the other day http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0001MQ8E4/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20 would it be possible to use that instead, using the same parts that are listed on the homebrew wiki?

Is there anything I need to do differently? I don't see a spigoton it, but would it be possible to just cut/drill a hole instead?

Help please! :)

Dan

Last edited by a moderator:
yep, that should work. you'd need to drill a hole and use a bulkhead fitting for the drain, but there's plenty of info on how those can be done.

Thanks, and would that be enough space for big beers? Nothing crazy, but I like the idea of brewing an Imperial Stout one of these days.

Also, would you guys recommend batch or fly sparging if I were to use that sort of container?

That was like 19 lbs of grain with strike water, sorry about the American measuring system. That should be good for a 5 Gallon batch. If not big enough, you could add DME to boost the gravity. Just use the light DME and get all of your color and flavor from the specialty grains. This way you know the composition of the ingredients.

Fly sparging generally requires a more elaborate system of draining, see Palmer's How to Brew about configuring the drainage if fly sparging.

You may want to try and find something closer to 40L if you want to do big beers in the future, a 28L would probably only work up to a 1.050-60 beer maybe a little bigger depending on your mash water ratio. I like fly sparging, but it is all personal preference, and the kind of false bottom or manifold you have. You can do either with that container.

Back