Costco brew stand

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mike_b

Reaction score
I just completed an electric BIAB setup for my son. (He brews, I build stuff.) It's based on a $70 steel shelving unit from Costco. It's 24"x48" by 6-feet tall, not counting the exhaust fan on top.

I replaced the black composition board shelves with 2-sided pre-finished maple 1/2" plywood. I used the same plywood for the back and to make the "hood".

The plywood is nice stuff with no voids, but the edges are unfinished and not likely to stand up to much water. I wasn't sure what to do with the edges so I saturated them with 95-degree Johnson's Paste Wax. It was hot in my garage and the paste wax was the consistency of warm butter. It soaked in nicely. We'll see how well it withstands the occasional splash of water.

The top is one of the original black composition board shelves with a hole cut for an 8" 170 CFM exhaust fan, which is built into the box on top. The exhaust fan vents to a nearby window by a temporary duct when he is brewing. A temporary board with a 6" hole and elbow duct fits into the window to complete the exhaust solution. Additional shelf rails and about 6" wide finished plywood form the exhaust hood that does a remarkably good job of capturing and venting the generated steam.

The hood also houses a 23" LED strip light to illuminate what you're doing.

It's installed in his large kitchen, so it had to look decent if somewhat utilitarian. He apartment is older and the floor is unlevel near the walls, so I added leg-levelers at all four corners. It's solid and level now.

A 25-foot 10-4 extension cord (coiled on top in the photo) connects the control panel to a spa panel with a GFCI breaker near his dryer outlet.

It's sized for some growing room if he ever wants to invest in a more complex setup.

brews stand.jpg

Very nice.. I would use some Polyurethane on the plywood edges. I would expect any remaining composite panels to degrade quickly, especially in the hood portion. I also wonder how the moisture is going to affect the Led lighting? If it is inside the hood I would expect problems.

None of my concerns would take a lot of fixing. So wait and see it any problems present themselves then make some modifications.

This is a nice setup, with some likely alterations. I am contemplating an eventual conversion to a similar system, I have to keep this setup in mind....

That looks awesome, especially for an apartment build. I bought a Grainfather to accommodate my apartment needs, but that looks really nice. Well done! Is your son a member?

I don't know if my son is a member here. I sent him a link. Maybe he'll join if he's not already a member.

If it's an apartment, and obviously you can't core through the wall, where are you exhausting...?

I'd just core through the wall and forfeit my security deposit. Lol! :ban:

Nice looking setup, btw!

Edit: Dammit. I need to learn to read. Thanks Texan! (Post below)

If it's an apartment, and obviously you can't core through the wall, where are you exhausting...?

I'd just core through the wall and forfeit my security deposit. Lol! :ban:

Nice looking setup, btw!

"The exhaust fan vents to a nearby window by a temporary duct when he is brewing. "

I don't have a photo of the exhaust vent setup. There is a window next to the stand with a horizontal slider. I made a 10" wide board to fit snugly in the window. The window board has a 6" hole and an elbow duct attached which is temporarily connected to the exhaust fan output by some 6" flexible duct and another elbow on top of the fan. (The 8" fan output is immediately reduced to 6" by a reducer.)

It's a bit crude compared to a permanent duct solution, but it's all I could figure for an apartment setup.

Back