Cost of starting brewery?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
not cheap.

it all depends on what you plan on doing. i have been working on a business plan for some time now. numbers keep changing based on my ideas. if you are talking a production facitility for distribution, your equipment costs will be more but cheaper rent and wont make as much $$$

if you want a tap room then itll be more expensive as you need to get a nicer place, do more improvements.

it comes down to size of brewhouse as well. i have seen used 7bbl brewhouses for in the range of $30k-$40k and that isnt with your fermenters and brite tanks. i am very picky about the system i want, so i would be better off buying new, the cost difference isnt that much.

my numbers have ranged from $100k for a 2bbl nanobrewery to $500k for a 7bbl microbrewery. ultimately its who you know and what you find. you can find great deals if you have the $$ at the right time. check out probrewer.com, they have equipment posted from time to time. as well as www.nabrewing.com for used setups.

good luck!

Nateo - I wouldn't consider 10 gallons a decent size for any brewery.

Lostboysbrew - thank you, this was precisely the information I was seeking.
Good luck w your plan, I hope it works out for you!

i was actually just reading over this i found...
http://sites.google.com/site/republicbrewpub/

its a log/business plan of some guy starting a brewery. bunch of interesting information. up to you to determine how relevent it would be to your situation. his estimated costs seem higher then necessary, although the plan is quite ambitious.

Nateo - I wouldn't consider 10 gallons a decent size for any brewery.

Lostboysbrew - thank you, this was precisely the information I was seeking.
Good luck w your plan, I hope it works out for you!

Well, since this website is "homebrewtalk" and you posted your question in the "equipment" forum, I thought you might've been talking about a home brewery, in which case 10 gallons is a decent size.

For the info you're looking for, I would go here:
http://www.probrewer.com/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?forumid=29

Back