Cost-effective bottling options

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Swing-tops have the rubber gaskets that need replacing once in a while. It does take a long time to go through 100 gaskets. Mine are 16oz and that's about 37 beers to fill versus 50 with 12oz bottles. I close the flip-tops with one hand so it's fast. I don't see a downside to them.
After a quick glance at the prices of caps and gaskets, I think the gaskets, being reusable a number of times, might be somewhat cheaper.
In any case, it's going to depend on what you prefer. I don't think the cost difference would be significant enough to choose one over the other.

Last edited:
I don't see a downside to them.
They're marginally harder to clean and sanitize.
They don't have the advantage of oxygen-absorption technology that most crimp caps do.
They probably allow more oxygen through.
They're more likely to break if over-carbonated.
Higher seal failure rate if you reuse the gaskets.
They're harder to acquire.
They look funny. :)

The only advantages are that they don't require a bottle capper, and are marginally easier to close.. So you could save like $10-15 on that maybe, if your brewing budget is that tight.

I have cappers I could give away if you live nearby, and bottles.

1L swingtops are my preference for the occasional time I bottle but they are pricy. If your on a tight budget reusing commercial bottles is a good option just abit more work. Cheers

1L swingtops are my preference for the occasional time I bottle but they are pricy. If your on a tight budget reusing commercial bottles is a good option just abit more work. Cheers
I get 1L swing-tops for just a couple bucks each and they usually come pre-filled with a delicious soda. Downside is that they are usually clear glass.

I get 1L swing-tops for just a couple bucks each and they usually come pre-filled with a delicious soda. Downside is that they are usually clear glass.
Yea around here empty beer brown 1L swing tops go for 1-2 dollars so they are still considerably more than used regular beer bottles. At least for me personally I hate bottling more than anything so only having to get 20 1L bottles vs 50 regular ones and not having to deal with a capper on top is priceless. Cheers

If you buy bottled beer, reusing commercial bottles and buying new crimp caps are the way to go. Just beer purposeful and rinse ever bottle when it’s done and place upside down to dry, then you only need to sterilize.

I’d say buy a brand new case of bottles to start you off. Then make sure you save them and that you continue to save any commercial ones you drink.

2 liter bottles. I loved them but ultiamely 1 l is more versatile. Reusable over and over.
What are the most cost-effective bottle options for doing 3-5 gallon batches. Flip-top bottles seem like a good candidate since they're very reusable.

I buy low mineral sparkling water in 0.5l pet bottles, use the water for brewing and the bottles for bottling. No need to sterilise and can be thrown away after use. Not good for long term storage obviously, but I drink my stuff before I start recognising pet related issues, which would start after a few months (tested it).

Last edited:
At one point I had 400-500 matching beer bottles all with 6 pack carriers stored in boxes under my stairs as a few of my co-workers were bringing them to work for me. After at least a year storing them I realised I just don't have the patience to bottle and would never use them and decided to give them away to members of my club but surprisingly I didn't get anyone interested. I loaded up the truck and headed out to the bottom depot. It was extremely busy that day and I didn't feel like waiting around so I gave them all to a homeless guy out front. The look on his face was priceless lol. Cheers

In life I have found this rule: tasks can be completed with either time or money. If you're low on money you'll have to dedicate some time to this.

The cheapest route is probably pet bottles. If clear or green you'll have to keep them out of the light. It ain't pretty but it'll work and it's cheap. You'll have to spend some time cleaning the bottles and caps though.

Commercial beer bottles, caps and a crimper is probably the next best option. Considering the bottles are "free" and caps are really cheap and a crimper is too.

After that flip tops. I use both commercial and flip tops. One piece of advice I'll give is to get the ceramic tops. I tried the cheaper plastic tops and the did not hold pressure well. Once I switched to ceramic I didn't have an issue. In the long run flip tops might be the cheapest but up front they're not the easiest or cheapest to find.

Others will say to buy a 5 gallon bottle and force carb it but that's definitely the most expensive option especially if you want to keep it cool.

I've bottled >160 batches in the past 20 years. I love my Grolsch bottles and use them a lot. However I still have to say that out of all the different bottles I've tried, my favorites are still the good old 12-oz brown bottles. You can give them away to friends, you can send them to competitions, and they only hold 12 oz beer, not 15 or 22 oz or more. Sometimes you don't want or need that kind of volume. My favorite bottles now are some 7? or 8? oz bottles that somebody found for me. I only have 6 of them. :(

Cost effective and time effective. 48 bottles vs 8 2l bottles clean and sanitized. Yes, i am that lazy. Would love glass. But its never happened and probably never will!

I've bottled >160 batches in the past 20 years. I love my Grolsch bottles and use them a lot. However I still have to say that out of all the different bottles I've tried, my favorites are still the good old 12-oz brown bottles. You can give them away to friends, you can send them to competitions, and they only hold 12 oz beer, not 15 or 22 oz or more. Sometimes you don't want or need that kind of volume. My favorite bottles now are some 7? or 8? oz bottles that somebody found for me. I only have 6 of them. :(

I recently picked up about 60 Grolsch bottles real cheap on Craigslist. Only used once, for the original beer, so easy to clean and the gaskets are like new. I plan to use them for a Belgian strong I want to carb up to 3.5-4 vols. For other beers I've been using Aussie stubbies.

I have a couple dozen of those 7oz bottles from some Italian soda. I like them for bottling some of the Apfelwein and the occasional wines and ciders I make. Wish I had a hundred more of those 7oz bottles.

Latest posts

Back