Correct BJCP category

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

goosehunter75

Reaction score
OK, I've brewed a great beer and have plans to enter it into the Big Muddy Monster Home Brew Comp in Murphysboro, IL. But...I need some thoughts/opinions on which category to enter. It is a wheat beer but I added 4 lbs of strawberries to 3.5 gallons of wort/beer after it had fermented for 4 days. But, I also used 1.0 lbs of Carafa II (also had 6.0 lbs of white wheat and 6.0 lbs of Pilsner) in the mash. It is dark! So, should I enter in the "Specialty Beer" or "Fruit Beer" category? My fear with the fruit beer is the BJCP guidelines state that appearance should be appropriate to the base beer being presented.

OK, I've brewed a great beer and have plans to enter it into the Big Muddy Monster Home Brew Comp in Murphysboro, IL. But...I need some thoughts/opinions on which category to enter. It is a wheat beer but I added 4 lbs of strawberries to 3.5 gallons of wort/beer after it had fermented for 4 days. But, I also used 1.0 lbs of Carafa II (also had 6.0 lbs of white wheat and 6.0 lbs of Pilsner) in the mash. It is dark! So, should I enter in the "Specialty Beer" or "Fruit Beer" category? My fear with the fruit beer is the BJCP guidelines state that appearance should be appropriate to the base beer being presented.

The base style does not have to be a BJCP classic style. You could call it something like "dark wheat beer with strawberries".

Latest posts

Back