Corny Keg Repair part sources?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

E_Marquez

Reaction score
Where is your CURRENT go to place for repair parts.

I know we have lots of vendors, and I searched and found older threads with recommended places, following some of those resulted in outdated or dead links...so I thought i'd ask about CURRENT places to buy from.

Liquid and gas dip tubes
Ball lock valves (complete assemblies)
O ring kits.

Trying to decide if rehabbing some old kegs is worth the buy in and repair cost.

Thanks

eBay, Amazon, Beverage Factory, cornykeg.com, etc. There are quite a few places out there, but depending on what the old kegs cost it may not be worth it.

I've seen dip tubes for about $5 and $15 (short/long), posts with poppets for about $10-12 each and o-ring kits for about $5.

I picked up a bare keg shell at a scrap yard last week for $7, but the cost of parts is going to put me pretty close the the $60 it costs for a used soda keg. I think I'll end up making my own dip tubes, which will save me a bit, but I'll still probably be in the $40-50 range.

If those are the ones from Craig's list in Austin I did some Internet pricing and decided it would be almost 50 a piece to replace all the missing parts and also wondered why they would be missing all that if they held pressure so took a pass

Not exactly the answer to your question but it was my thought process if the same thing you are looking at

Also I am new to kegging haven't actually tarted so figured I would be better off getting something I knew worked to lower the frustration level while dialing in the kegging process

If pin locks will fit AHS had some last time I was in there for less than 50 that were pressure teated but they are taller than ball locks and won't for where I need them to

Best of luck neighbor

If those are the ones from Craig's list in Austin I did some Internet pricing and decided it would be almost 50 a piece to replace all the missing parts and also wondered why they would be missing all that if they held pressure so took a pass

Not exactly the answer to your question but it was my thought process if the same thing you are looking at

Also I am new to kegging haven't actually tarted so figured I would be better off getting something I knew worked to lower the frustration level while dialing in the kegging process

If pin locks will fit AHS had some last time I was in there for less than 50 that were pressure teated but they are taller than ball locks and won't for where I need them to

Best of luck neighbor

Yes those are the three.. And along with the lackluster responses I get from the seller... (more than a day between responses)
Only one usable (according to seller) and the other two need everything but shell and lid... Im about done with it.. add in time and gas... I'd rather support my in town HBS place at $60 a keg, ball valve, known good items.

Thanks, for the nudge and concurrence..

MoreBeer and Williams. Both places have phe omenal service and people who can really help when you need it.

I can't say enough good things about either company.

No worries glad it helped and had the same experience on response times

A friend of mine did suggest you could use them as a stainless fermenter for 4 gallon batches but still seems like more hassle than its worth even at a reduced price from what the seller is asking

The guy is real close to my work but the response time really threw some flags up for me for some reason and I have learned to trust my instincts so took a pass

So, ya, Im convinced...used kegs that are not essentially free AND need repair, hardly worth it.
Three used kegs at $45
using just one parts source (morebeer) to get an idea.. it's $125 in parts plus shipping, lets est $15.

So $180 for 3 kegs I still have to go get (gas and time), rebuild, clean & test....
$60 each..... No deal there.....when I can stop on the way through town and pick up a refurbished, sanitised and tested Corny Ball lock for $65 ready for beer.

Thanks all for the resources (saved for later) and sanity check on the value of going used kegs.

...I've seen dip tubes for about $5 and $15 (short/long), posts with poppets for about $10-12 each and o-ring kits for about $5.

...I think I'll end up making my own dip tubes, which will save me a bit...

The pricing of some of the keg parts is ridiculous and limits the economics of rebuilding largely. The posts are a specialized item as are the poppets, but come on!

Making dip tubes?
McMaster sells that thin walled tubing, IIRC. But how would you put the flat flare on that? I doubt a copper flaring tool can do that. And those tools are not cheap either.

[...]If pin locks will fit AHS had some last time I was in there for less than 50 that were pressure teated but they are taller than ball locks and won't for where I need them to[...]

fwiw, true pin lock kegs are actually shorter and fatter than true ball lock kegs...

Cheers!

day_trippr said:
fwiw, true pin lock kegs are actually shorter and fatter than true ball lock kegs...

Cheers!

I stand corrected ! Thanks I just know I was told they won't fit
Appreciate the clarification !

check out local soda/carbonic places I stopped the other day at a place here to pick up a couple fisheye caskets

and got talking with the guy behind the counter about kegs he said they had used black locks for 50 dollars refurbished

I told him I am setup for pinlocks he walk me outside and sold me 8 used pinlocks for 20 dollars

the all were pressurized, just needed a good cleaning

the poppet and o-rings look new

so look around there are deals out there for sure

all the best

S_M

The pricing of some of the keg parts is ridiculous and limits the economics of rebuilding largely. The posts are a specialized item as are the poppets, but come on!

Making dip tubes?
McMaster sells that thin walled tubing, IIRC. But how would you put the flat flare on that? I doubt a copper flaring tool can do that. And those tools are not cheap either.

I was thinking a brake line flare tool would do the trick. O'Reilly's has one for $8, and then I could keep it. I'd probably go back to the same wrecking yard and look for some stainless tubing for $1/lb. If that didn't work, then lesson learned.

You can put a standard 45 degree flare on the tubing and then tap the edge of the flare on an anvil all the way around until it's flat. I made a few dip tubes and they came out great.

check out local soda/carbonic places I stopped the other day at a place here to pick up a couple fisheye caskets

and got talking with the guy behind the counter about kegs he said they had used black locks for 50 dollars refurbished

I told him I am setup for pinlocks he walk me outside and sold me 8 used pinlocks for 20 dollars

the all were pressurized, just needed a good cleaning

the poppet and o-rings look new

so look around there are deals out there for sure

all the best

S_M

Whaaaaaat? Awesome deal! I got 5 @30 each a few weeks ago and thought that was a steal. Jealous!

E_Marquez said:
Yes those are the three.. And along with the lackluster responses I get from the seller... (more than a day between responses)
Only one usable (according to seller) and the other two need everything but shell and lid... Im about done with it.. add in time and gas... I'd rather support my in town HBS place at $60 a keg, ball valve, known good items.

Thanks, for the nudge and concurrence..

Take the kegs and use them as primary fermenters - I've got four and love them.

Whaaaaaat? Awesome deal! I got 5 @30 each a few weeks ago and thought that was a steal. Jealous!

At first I thought he wanted 20 bucks a piece and was going to offer him a hundred for the 8

then realized it was 20 for them all, he had others but they had root beer in them and he was nice enough to tell me

they only use ball locks and are getting rid of any pin locks the take in

so yesterday lunch time I stop back there with a CO2 tank someone at work gave me that needed a fill and was out of date

they do not fill or exchange but have them filled and you pick up

looks at my tank and tells me it cannot be tested because it is a older beverage system tank with a plastic bottom

I was bumming so I drove back to where I work the back way by the factories and warehouses as it was lunch time and busy

I saw a welding gas place with tanks I stopped in to see if they would exchange or fill or whatever they do

at the least I thought I could lease a tank from them

turns out they do not fill but exchange took in my tank no charge to test, gave me one with a current hydro date all for the total sum of 22 dollars for a 20 pound tank

so shopping around is a good thing

S_M

At first I thought he wanted 20 bucks a piece and was going to offer him a hundred for the 8

then realized it was 20 for them all, he had others but they had root beer in them and he was nice enough to tell me

they only use ball locks and are getting rid of any pin locks the take in

so yesterday lunch time I stop back there with a CO2 tank someone at work gave me that needed a fill and was out of date

they do not fill or exchange but have them filled and you pick up

looks at my tank and tells me it cannot be tested because it is a older beverage system tank with a plastic bottom

I was bumming so I drove back to where I work the back way by the factories and warehouses as it was lunch time and busy

I saw a welding gas place with tanks I stopped in to see if they would exchange or fill or whatever they do

at the least I thought I could lease a tank from them

turns out they do not fill but exchange took in my tank no charge to test, gave me one with a current hydro date all for the total sum of 22 dollars for a 20 pound tank

so shopping around is a good thing

S_M

Nice. I just kicked my 5# co2 tank last night and forgot today that I did. Oops. If you're ever in there and they have a deal like that again let me know as I'm in wny and willing to take a drive for an amazing deal.

Latest posts

Back