Corny Keg Ratchets

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

johnodon

Reaction score
I just bought my first two kegs and needed to remove/clean/sanitize the posts. I read in other threads that the posts could be 7/8 or 11/16. So, I went off on my way to Sears to get two box wrenches...7/8 and 11/16. Duh. ;)

I found the wrenches that I needed and they were $11.99 and $9.99 respectively (for the Craftsman 12 pt. versions). I contemplated getting socket drives instead and while I was standing there, I glanced down to my left and this is what I saw:

http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_00943365000P?prdNo=6&blockNo=6&blockType=G6

So...for $10.49 I got both sizes I needed in a single unit and they are socket driven to boot. :)

Just thought this may help someone else if they need to make a quick run to get needed wrenches.

John

I spent a good day searching local hardware stores after I started kegging for a deep-seated socket drive for my 11/16 keg. I STILL might grab one of these, just to have on hand when I *cough* misplace my driver.

+1. Have this myself and works an absolute charm. The ratchet really makes all the difference.

I have one that is regular open wrench on one end and ratchet on the other. Definately handy!

Agreed. Saw this thread a while back, and ordered one online.

That offset Craftsman ratchet wrench is beautiful, robust, functional and... did I say beautiful?

It also really does a number on sticky, stuck ball lock posts, too. This wrench should be "BII" (Basic Issue Item) for anyone who starts kegging in cornies.

Thanks for this find!

This thing is bomb-proof too. I regularly hit mine with a hammer when I have particularly tough to loosen posts and it has held up well to the abuse. Plus if it breaks I can simply go to my local Sears and trade it out for a new one!

Back