Corny Keg Prices

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

markcubed

Reaction score
Anyone know what is the going rate for a corny keg?

Also, when it's all said and done what is the final cost of the CO2 setup?

Thanks

There is a guy on here who sells them at a great deal. KegConnection.com also sells 4 packs of "B" grade kegs for a great price. I believe both vendors clean them well, and replace all O rings. They end up around $20 a keg. I've seen them in LHBS's for $35-40, and they weren't reconditioned.

Stay away from Kegkits.com

My cornies cost me 30 bucks from kegconnection.com each for my first two, then I paid 80 bucks for 6 from Craigslist. I typically see them for around 20 bucks each on craigslist. NorthernBrewer sells them for 35 and Midwest sells them for 30.

A "final CO2 Setup" will cost you whatever you want. I paid $215 from kegconnection.com for 2 corneys, 1 5# CO2 bottle, a dual body regulator, 2 sets of QDs, picnic taps, and hose.

I then paid 80 bucks for 6 more corneys, 13 bucks for 20 feet of beer line, (to make two 10' lines to replace the wimpy 5' lines I had), 40 bucks for a craigslist fridge, 40 bucks in gas to go GET that fridge, (long story), 15 bucks to FILL my new CO2 bottle, 15 bucks for new O-rings for the kegs, (although I now know about McMaster Carr)....and I think that's it.

Now I need to spend 15 bucks at Harbor Freight for a 4-way CO2 Manifold with QDs, 3 more sets of keg QDs for around 40 bucks, 3 more beer lines for 20 bucks, 3 more picnic taps for 6 bucks, and then I'll have my 5 keg setup.

Then I have to spend 30 bucks a tap for Perlick faucets, (too broke to go in on this "group buy" tomorrow), plus 15-20 bucks a shank, for a total of 225 to upgrade to faucets for my 5 kegs.

And by that point, I'll probably want a bigger CO2 tank.

So yeah, not that much.

How much use do you normally get from a 5# CO2 tank?

Where is a common place to refill the tanks?

Can you use nitrogen in these tanks?

You can use nitrogen if you only want to dispense. But the benefit of kegging is that we can force carbonate, which requires CO2.

I swap my 10# tank at airgas for about 18 bucks + haz fee's.

Use depends on if you are carbonating the kegs and what level carbonation you are aiming for.

CylinderDimentions.jpg

Home Brew (5.00 Gallon)
2.5lb - 7-11
5lb - 15-22
10lb - 31-44
15lb - 46-66
20lb - 62-87

How much use do you normally get from a 5# CO2 tank?

Where is a common place to refill the tanks?

Can you use nitrogen in these tanks?

I hear you get 4-6 cornys out of a 5# tank, if you are force carbing. If you are naturally carbing, I think it's more like 15 cornys. I force carb, and have gone through 3 corneys so far without a refill....(I also waste a LOT of CO2 purging corneys, etc.).

EDIT: Weird, I could be wrong....I just did the math, and you should be able to get almost 15 5 gallon cornies per 5 lb CO2 tank assuming 2.4 STP volumes carbonation and 1 volume @ 12 PSIG dispensing gas. I guess I'll just have to see how long mine lasts.

You can refill at fire extinguisher stores, paintball stores, gas supply stores, welding supply stores, or LHBSs. Call around. I exchange at Northern Brewer for 15 bucks a tank. (5#)

Yes, you can use nitrogen if you can get someone to fill it for you. Functionally there's no difference between nitrogen and CO2 tanks except for the type of fitting for screwing on a reg. You can use Nitrogen in a CO2 tank with a CO2 reg, or Nitrogen in a Nitrogen tank with a Nitrogen reg, or Nitrogen in a Nitrogen tank with an adapter and a CO2 reg.

Keg setup is tough. I got a free fridge, but you still need a tower (or tap), first co2 tank, regulator, disconnects, tubing, and a keg or two. If I didn't have a free kegger I would have been looking at $400.

Then if you want the fridge to ferment during keg downtime now you're looking at another $65.

For something decent I would budget ~$400 for it. You can do the keg sitting in a bucket of ice for half that.

If I buy a CO2 tank, is there any special fittings I will require to connect to a standard regulator gauge? Is it a standard for all CO2 tanks, or is there something special I should ask for?

Thanks!

If I buy a CO2 tank, is there any special fittings I will require to connect to a standard regulator gauge? Is it a standard for all CO2 tanks, or is there something special I should ask for?

Thanks!

How much do you want to spend? Are you planning on using picnic taps or faucets? In general it is easiest to buy a whole kit from someone like kegconnections or kegcowboy. You can look at the link in my sig to see some info on pretty much the minimum you would need to build a keezer. Another option is finding a used setup someone is selling on CL where you could get everything all included with either a converted Kegerator/keezer or a comercial kegerator. I've seen them for as low as 250.00 with the fridge, taps, lines, kegs, CO2 tank (sometimes already filled even since you wont be shipping).

How much do you want to spend? Are you planning on using picnic taps or faucets? In general it is easiest to buy a whole kit from someone like kegconnections or kegcowboy. You can look at the link in my sig to see some info on pretty much the minimum you would need to build a keezer. Another option is finding a used setup someone is selling on CL where you could get everything all included with either a converted Kegerator/keezer or a comercial kegerator. I've seen them for as low as 250.00 with the fridge, taps, lines, kegs, CO2 tank (sometimes already filled even since you wont be shipping).

I will be using picnic taps to start with.

But I meant the valve on the CO2 tank, which connects to the regulator, between the regulator and CO2 tank. SCUBA tanks have special valves to restrict airflow so it doesn't blow up your lungs, for example. Is the valve on the CO2 tank standard for all CO2 tanks, or is it something I would need to ask for specifically (I am planning on buying a CO2 tank from a fire extinguisher store in my city).

Thanks,

HOLY THREAD RESURECTIONS, BATMAN!!!!! I love how some questions are answered right away and some people have to wait two years:mug:

So, what's the going rate for corny kegs in 2011? I'm trying to pick some up from Craigslist but don't want to get ripped off. The price online has skyrocketed from 2009, I'm thinking.

Thanks for the reference point.

I ended up getting 6 corny kegs (4 pin lock, 2 ball lock), a couple of old CO2 tanks, a regulator, 3x 5 gallon carboys, a 6.5 gallon carboy, a 2.5 gallon carboy, a bunch of books, and odds and ends (brushes, couplers, carboy washer, etc.) for $140.

They're definitely out of date for the hydro test. Actually, I'll have to clear inventory because I've picked up a BUNCH of old, need-to-be-hydrotested CO2 tanks including 3x 20lbs, a 10lb, and 2x 5 lbs. I'm thinking of keeping a 20 and two 5's and selling the rest on craigslist for welders, homebrewers, etc. for cheap.

Thanks for the reference point.

I ended up getting 6 corny kegs (4 pin lock, 2 ball lock), a couple of old CO2 tanks, a regulator, 3x 5 gallon carboys, a 6.5 gallon carboy, a 2.5 gallon carboy, a bunch of books, and odds and ends (brushes, couplers, carboy washer, etc.) for $140.

Holy shiznit!!! What a deal!!! Happy brewing man.

Back