Corny keg fermentors

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NoVaBrewer

Reaction score
Does anyone else use ball lock kegs for primary fermentation? Are there any negative consequences?

I do, frequently. The only down side is I was used to putting about 6 gallons into my primary and then leaving a little with the trub at the bottom, you lose a little more of your finished volume if you do a secondary in a keg as they don't hold 6 gallons.

I use the fermentation lids on mine, not sure how to do it otherwise, maybe you can make your own. That is sort of a down side I suppose, the lids are currently on sale for 10 bucks, but if you are crafty you vcan maybe diy your own with some lids that have bad pressure valves....

google corny keg fermentation lid, the first link has a good price on the type I use. I am sure a vendor here also sells them if you look around.

I did it once with a blow off hose, now I pressure ferment in them. I have some photos in the link for both.

I like cornys because of the small footprint.

Back