Corney Chiller?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JayInJersey

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Anyone used a corney with a coil inside immersed in water as a chiller?

You would be able to easily keep the chiller in the keezer until the brewday bringing it down to 40* in my case.

Then on brewday, pump it through my chiller then into the corney though the water and back out nice and cool.

Anyone done something like this? Don't need to reinvent the wheel

Or have thoughts on it?

Maybe fill it up with ice and water. Get it to around 32* that way.

+1

No need to take up refrigerated space. Just fill with and icewater mix and you'll be at the coldest temp possible without actually freezing. Unless it's easier for you to deal with this refrigerated instead of using ice.

It's not 100% clear what you're proposing. Do you mean pump the hot wort through the coil inside the corny which has very cold water in it? If so, that water will heat up to about 120F pretty quickly and all cooling will stop there. You can fill it with ice to get it colder but it would also work better if you had a way to agitate the ice water in there.

Yeah that was pretty much the idea.

my tap only gets it to about 80ish after the chiller...so I was trying to figure out a step two to get it to 70ish.

Right now I've been running ice water through the chiller but was trying to decide if running the wort through a reusable canister would be faster.

If you want to keep with the corny idea, there's another way to try this. Use your immersion chiller like you always do and use the tap water to get the wort down to about 100f first. Take your corny filled with 33F chilled water, remove the in/out poppets and connect the supply garden hose to the bev out post, Connect your IC to the gas in post. Run the water slow and stir the crap out of your wort while it's running. This would also work with a corny filled with icecubes if you have a cheap source. I've played around with this inline chiller concept with a plastic barrel, but it couldn't handle the pressure like a corny would.

Back