corn sugar vs cane sugar

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brockettbrews

Reaction score
i bottled the same beer some bottles with cane sugar and the other bottles with corn sugar going to see it there is any difference.

Sounds like a great experiment. I look forward to seeing the results. Common knowledge and even scientific reasoning don't always line up to reality.

Yup. No flavor difference. Now, if you tried... Say buckwheat honey in one and cane sugar in another, there will be a difference. Guess same could be said for dark brown sugar or molasses.

Yup. No flavor difference. Now, if you tried... Say buckwheat honey in one and cane sugar in another, there will be a difference. Guess same could be said for dark brown sugar or molasses.

I'm not so sure about that. You use so little sugar of any type for priming that any flavor contribution will be extremely minimal. Years ago I experimented with priming with a lot of different types of sugars and honey, as well as force carbing. 2 months down the road, in a blind tasting no one could tell which was which or expressed a preference for one over another.

I used 2/3 cup maple syrup to prime a brown ale and it had a nice maple flavor, but after a few months the flavor faded. Going to try it in some other beers in the future.

i bottled the same beer some bottles with cane sugar and the other bottles with corn sugar going to see it there is any difference.

Did you account for the difference in 'sugar' content. If you used the same amount for each type of sugar, the ones with the table sugar will have more carbonation.

I could never tell the difference; I bottle everything with table sugar now, because it is much cheaper.

well i guess you were right they are way over carbonated. i opened the bottle and the foam went everywhere. lol. doesnt any different think about using cane sugar all the time.

Back