Corn sugar by weight and volume

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kosch

Reaction score
I'm just drinking a glass of my first brew from a Muntons Nut Brown Ale kit.

I bottled it about 3 weeks ago. They've been sitting around 68-70 degrees. I've been sampling a bottle every week just to understand the progression. I can definitely taste the flavor starting to even out, but it doesn't seem to be quite as carbonated as I would have expected, and hasn't seem to change much over the last 2 weeks.

The instructions my LHBS gave me said to use 3/4 cip of corn sugar. I had been reading on here, and saw it said 5oz. I started weighing out 5oz in the measuring cup to see what the difference was. 5oz would have been just about a cup.

So I guess, could my corn sugar just be extra fluffy, and I really just used too little? Or is it just taking longer? BTW, I still think it tastes great, even for an undercarbonated first batch :)

Thanks!

Kosch

I use a teaspoon per 12oz bottle, and a tablespoon per 1 liter bottle. Works good enough for me. I only bottle about a gallon though. Just whatever doesn't fit in the corny keg.

Thanks for the reply. I'm doing 5 gallon batches and so priming in bulk, seems like that is the accepted way to get the best distribution.

Your ratio does convert to be a little over a cup by volume, so sounds like it is probably the same as what I was seeing 5oz should be.

Latest posts

Back