Corks and screw top bottles

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brew_Dude41

Chaos coordinator
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Ok, it is now official and I have crossed over to the dark side (making red wine), and have 2 questions for all of you experienced vintners :
Can you cork screw top bottles properly (I know I can give anything a try.. )?

Can a cork be used multiple times? (Nevermind, l have found that answer, i retract the question)

I haven't had much time to look up these questions so I lay my trust (and wine) in your capable hands.

Last edited:
You CAN cork a screw top bottle BUT the glass that has been shaped to allow a screw top is far more fragile than a regular bottle and unless you have a really good corking device you are likely to find that some of the bottles you try to cork are liable to break as the cork is pushed in. Not all, but some, and not always, but sometimes... and if you are OK with the odds then go ahead. Me? I avoid using screw top bottles. Even a small unnecessary risk is an expensive risk.

I often wondered how screw tops hold up in shipment from vineyard processing to liquor store, I am an older wine maker and just feel more comfortable with corks. I use #9. 1.75 long, Widget Co. has them, you want the .65 ea corks they are quality especially if you are doing a red 2-4 year shelf aging.

I suspect that the issue is horses for courses. If screw tops are sealed with screw tops then assuming that there is an oxygen barrier in the top the bottle is as it should be. The problem is not in and of itself the screw top but the use of a cork inserted INSIDE the mouth of such a bottle designed for a cap that screws on the OUTSIDE. The pressure inserting the cork into what is thinner glass (because of the screw pattern) is what creates the problem Screw top bottles are not made to be corked.

Latest posts

Back