Coriander and Orange peel - Leave them in???

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mbosco

Reaction score
Hi All,

Making a blue moonish beer today and was wondering what to do with the coriander and orange peel after the boil. Do I rach them to the fermenter and leave them in, or should they be pulled out prior to going to fermentor??

Thanks much!!

We bagged them in the boil,& pulled them afterward. Going into the fermenter wasn't a good idea to us. Might get too strong,might get funky.

Hi All,

Making a blue moonish beer today and was wondering what to do with the coriander and orange peel after the boil. Do I rach them to the fermenter and leave them in, or should they be pulled out prior to going to fermentor??

Thanks much!!

I left them in for the primary and then filtered out into secondary and or keg. Turned out perfect the first time.

Edit*
Just looked at my notes.... We tossed the wort into bottling bucket and let the seed and peel fall beneath the spout and whatever made it through was left in; then filtered out after fermentation. It was about a 1/8 of what was used making the wort.

I put both in last ten minutes of boil; coriander crushed, curaco orange peel rehydrated in charcoal filtered vodka, and did not transfer into primary.

cool guys, thanks. I'll likely get most of it out then. Have a brew and enjoy the day.

By the way, amazing to be brewing outside in Michigan in Feb with just a sweatshirt on and feeling comfortable.

cool guys, thanks. I'll likely get most of it out then. Have a brew and enjoy the day.

By the way, amazing to be brewing outside in Michigan in January with just a sweatshirt on and feeling comfortable.

I am with ya :)

By the way, amazing to be brewing outside in Michigan in Feb with just a sweatshirt on and feeling comfortable.

Agreed. Loving this mild winter! I'm guessing this is the Lunar Wit kit from CnC? Just bottled some of this on Saturday. We left everything in the primary and left it out of the secondary. Sampled the last little bit we didn't bottle - tasted good.

Can't wait till they're ready!

I strained out all of my boil additions (hops, coriander, orange peel) after cooling my wort.

Just bottled this yesterday and it is tasting awesome! Can't wait to pop open a bottle in 3 weeks or so.

I put my corainder and peel in the last 10 minutes and strained them out. I was disappointed that I got very little flavor from them. I'm thinking the tea method next time; (boil water, pop in spices, steep, cool, pop into fermenter after cooling) and taste at bottling time, add another dose if needed.

Thread revival! Just would like to add that i left my orange peel in for a 3 week primary, and am regretting it. Definitely getting off flavors from leaving the orange peel in the fermentor. I know its the orange peel cause i did this with a grapefruit ipa attempt, and the flavors are very similar. So anybody looking to add orange peel, strain it after the boil.

Back