Copper vs cpvc

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think both would be fine. I made a slip fit one out of cpvc and have been really happy with it. You could do the same with copper as well.

I was really happy with my cpvc with 3/32 holes in it that I just built; man it was easy to work with vs copper

I think both would be fine. I made a slip fit one out of cpvc and have been really happy with it. You could do the same with copper as well.

I've seen people use cpvc and not use any glue, can you do the samething with copper? without soldering?

My copper manifold is mostly soldered, but it can be broken down into 3 pieces for cleaning. I think making the whole thing unsoldered would risk the manifold falling apart during mashing. Copper doesn't fit as snugly as cpvc

My copper manifold is mostly soldered, but it can be broken down into 3 pieces for cleaning. I think making the whole thing unsoldered would risk the manifold falling apart during mashing. Copper doesn't fit as snugly as cpvc

Thank you! How much time and money you spend on the copper?

I guess it comes down to what you can get easily. CPVC is cheaper and easier to work with for most.

To those with non glued CPVC - how do you get it to stay together? I built a new manifold for my 10 gallon tun with no glue. When I filled it with hot water to preheat, my manifold fell apart after about 5 min. I was able to ghetto rig it with some tape, but thats not something I want in my tun as a permanent solution.

I guess it comes down to what you can get easily. CPVC is cheaper and easier to work with for most.

To those with non glued CPVC - how do you get it to stay together? I built a new manifold for my 10 gallon tun with no glue. When I filled it with hot water to preheat, my manifold fell apart after about 5 min. I was able to ghetto rig it with some tape, but thats not something I want in my tun as a permanent solution.

Interesting that you ask that; When I assembled mine it all stayed together fine. After the first use, it no longer holds quite so strongly so I intend to glue the manifold ends/connectors (I used 7/8 inch) and leave the pipes unglued (thus giving 3 pieces) which should be sufficient for both cleaning as well as keeping together.

I use copper without any solder. no problems.

so I intend to glue the manifold ends/connectors (I used 7/8 inch) and leave the pipes unglued (thus giving 3 pieces) which should be sufficient for both cleaning as well as keeping together.

So does it matter on what clue you use? Food grade?

Never had a problem just pressing my together no glue is used.

MLT-2.jpg
[/IMG]

I use cpvc. I just glued the elbows and t's together and leave the long pipes unglued for cleaning. One issue I found in my setup was that I didn't have it snug with the walls of the cooler lengthwise and it would float some. I've added another fitting now and don't have that problem. Now my long pipes are bending upward slightly, so I might have gone too far in the other direction with the snugness. I may move to copper at some point when I feel like messing with it again.

If you want it to stay together without gluing, make it so that there are supports pushing against the walls, that way the manifold will hold itself together, and hold itself in place.

If you want it to stay together without gluing, make it so that there are supports pushing against the walls, that way the manifold will hold itself together, and hold itself in place.

ah, thats probably my problem. I have a square manifold in the bottom of a round cooler. It does not touch any of the sides. The CPVC fit very snug when dry. The hot water in my apartment building comes out of the tap at 140F. Yea, I know, dangerous, I guess they use a boiler for the entire building. Since its so hot, I use it to heat up my mash tun. I let it sit for 10 min. When I went to dump out the water to put in the strike water, my manifold had fallen completely apart.

IMG_4719.JPG

It looks like it would be a simple fix to splice in some Tees with endcaps to push against the sidewalls of your round cooler.

I use a copper manifold that is not soldered. It fits together just snug enough that it won't come apart in the tun. I got my copper at Lowe's

I created a thread on this but not much interest so I'll throw it out here as another option for holding a manifold together, screws. Not something you would break down for every brew but if the needs arises no problem.

Manifold%20Installed.JPE

Manifold%20Elbow.JPE

I use copper for my square MLT and like being able to break everything down to clean so I have nothing soldered. If something feels too loose to me when assembling I grab some pliers and squeeze the end of the pipe out of round to tighten the fitting up. Four mashes so far with no problems. I thought about PCV but something about metal drew me to using copper. I don't think that you can go wrong with either but I know that if you have a loose fitting with the plastic there's nothing you can do but replace it unless you want to break out the glue.

I got a new cooler for xmas that i naturally turned in to a MT. My old tun i used unsoldered copper, no issues whatsoever. I opted to use cpvc in this one. First batch went well everything was fine. Second batch yesterday sucked. The cpvc manifold came apart mid mash, i didn't realize this until it was time to vorlauf and my pump filled up with grains. After 20 mins of burnt arms, cussing and tearing everything apart to get the dam grains out, i got it back together and flowing. Needless to say im going back to copper and this will not happen again.

i use cpvc and had the same problem of it coming apart. i drilled/tapped the parts. it takes a little extra time but i like being able to break it down each time. I normally break it down, clean, let it dry and put it together so on brew day its ready to go.

Back