Copper Racking Cane

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

compact007

Reaction score
I was at lowes today and i saw a 1/4" 3 foot copper tubing that was quite flexable. Thought of picking it up to use as a racking cane, Anyone have and info if this is ok or not, will it hurt the beer?

It won't hurt the brew, probably help it actually if you don't have a wort chiller. However, let me tell you from experience, making a 90 degree bend with cooper tubing is beyond and art form. Very hard to do with out kinking it. I wouldn't waste the money experimenting as the plastic ones are dirt cheap in comparison. Plus, you usually get a cap on the bottom of the plastic racking canes that help keep the trub out when going from primary to secondary.

Use a tube bender, only a few $$$ or bend it round a former.
If you use it with plastic piping then you don't need to bend it.

The only disadvantage I can think of is not being able to see if it is clean.

tubebenders_367.gif

After i posted, i said what the heck, and ran back out and bought it. Not to shabby, easy to bend with no kinks and fits the 1/4" tubing i already have. I didnt have a racking cane since my fiend borrowed it and it "disapeared" haha it was only like 3 bucks. cool cool!!

Back