Coor's Light...Banana?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

curlyfat

Reaction score
So tonight I was at the Chris Ledoux Tribute Rodeo as a food vendor. Not my usual crowd, but I do have "country" roots. My beer choices were Coor's Light in a plastic cup, or Coor's Light in an aluminum bottle. I haven't had Coor's light in...um...I have no idea when I had it last.

So, I had a couple (three? four?...Doesn't matter, there's not much alcohol anyway). When I drank my first one I tasted, you guessed it, BANANAS, and some graininess. Why is there banana taste in a light lager? Are there really fruity esters in a "Frost Brewed" (LOL) beer? Am I missing something? Is this common knowledge? I really wasn't expecting to pick that flavor up.

I'm home now and am hitting the homebrew to cleanse myself of my sins (not that I'm one of those uber-anti-BMC-Nazi types), so forgive what might sound a bit like a druck ramble.

:tank: :mug:

Plastic cup ? I know that every time I drink something out of a plastic cup, I pick up weird flavours and it really accentuates the "corny" feeling in the aftertaste (you know, the crappy adjunct aftertaste that has you go "mwaaah" and make a face if the beer isn't ice cold).

I stuck with the more "classy" wide-mouth aluminum bottle. At least then I knew I was getting a full pint of fizzy banana? Water.

I like the wide mouth aluminum bottle, I wish they were pry off bottles.

Of no real significant value at all, but....: The internets puts the alcohol level of Coors Light at an astonishing 4.2%. I know many brewers brew big beers, but on average mine are in the 5-7%. So Coors light is 20% or so less, which seems reasonable for a light beer, but I wouldn't say it has very little alcohol.

I am not being critical, I just hear people say that Miller light, Coors light etc. are very low in alc. but that's not really the case. I am just having a dull unmotivated Sunday I guess! Carry On.

I know the ABV is 4.2%, but I rarely drink anything less than 5%. That's just what I usually brew, and most craft beer that I like is 5%+. So compared to my normal habits, it's very little.

Although, my random small beer I have on tap right now is about 3%. It's nice to have a couple with lunch without catching a buzz in the middle of the day.

I used to drink Iron City in aluminum longnecks when I lived in Pittsburgh...I wish I had some of those bottles...could be cool to use as essentially unbreakable bottles for travel or mailing to friends...

Back